Easy fix for busted cable drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

anon124

Reaction score
I have an old bath tub that has a busted cable drain. We need to use the bathtub. My goal is simply to have a relatively easy mechanism to open/close the train to allow someone to bath in the tub. I don't see any easy access point to the hardware, so I'd like to figure out an alternative solution. Is there an easy way I can replace the existing drain stopper with a popup stopper? My quick online searching shows a variety of different popup drains, but none of them appear to work with the cable drain setup, presumably because the drain hole is too shallow to accommodate a popup stopper. I am fine leaving the existing cable drain hardware in place, I just want an easy solution for being able to to plug the drain so the kids can take baths. Thanks!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Rubber stopper?
white-everbilt-sink-hole-covers-865110-64_100.jpg
white-danco-sink-strainers-80227-c3_100.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cable drains are so different brand to brand its impossible to say if there is a way to convert to a lift and turn.. but I doubt it.

Most of them do have a box on the side of the tub shoe on the bottom side that allows access to the cable and lifter.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have an old bath tub that has a busted cable drain. We need to use the bathtub. My goal is simply to have a relatively easy mechanism to open/close the train to allow someone to bath in the tub. I don't see any easy access point to the hardware, so I'd like to figure out an alternative solution. Is there an easy way I can replace the existing drain stopper with a popup stopper? My quick online searching shows a variety of different popup drains, but none of them appear to work with the cable drain setup, presumably because the drain hole is too shallow to accommodate a popup stopper. I am fine leaving the existing cable drain hardware in place, I just want an easy solution for being able to to plug the drain so the kids can take baths. Thanks!

cut the old junk out and replace the entire tub waste and overflow. I prefer the glue-style tube waste and overflow. But this flex style is probably easier for homeowners. Don't forget to purchase a new glue-style trap (1-1/2" pvc) and a coupling (1-1/2" pvc). You may need a no-hub band if the material is metallic. purple primer and green label pvc glue on every joint.

1714772727928.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks