Plumber missed toilet drain by 2.5" short - what should I do?

Users who are viewing this thread

JimFromAustin

Reaction score
Plumber missed the toilet drain hole by 2.5", concrete has been poured. Is it difficult to break up the concrete and move the drain to where it should be? 22.5" before wall installed is just not wide enough for a shower. 25" was already tight. The toilet drain is very close to the whole house drain, basically underneath this bathroom.

1713718319924.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
its easy if you do construction and have a jack hammer. I dont do that stuff much and shy away from those jobs (have to rent a jack hammer) An absolute bare minimum would be 500 bucks for me . on other hand its a major PIA to do it for free Might be 2 sides to the story but if contractor agrees you gave him precise instruction and he arbitraily moved toilet 2.5 inches because it was dificult a discusion should have occured as to how to proceed

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Confirm that your plans don't show that 4'-3" to the centre of the 2x6 stud wall. That could account for the 2.5" (actually 2.75") discrepancy.

Or maybe he just screwed up.

Reach4

Reaction score
I may not understand your drawing. Your red markup seems to say you want your closet flange farther from the wall, and I was thinking you wanted to go closer to the wall. What does your drawing represent?... but I may be the only one feeling confused.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was assuming those are the plans. We can blame whoever but there are 2 sides. its always good to check measurements befor the mud comes. What was plumbers reason for being 2.5 inches off?

JimFromAustin

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, this is what plans show. I just noticed this, haven't discussed with plumber yet. Just trying to understand how difficult a job this is from his prospective.

1713763945008.png

Attachments

• 1713763914655.png
    1713763914655.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 12

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, this is what plans show. I just noticed this, haven't discussed with plumber yet. Just trying to understand how difficult a job this is from his prospective.

View attachment 98542
I guess it make no differance but if this is the building documents you provided the contractor its very easy to build. Of cource you mentioned a pipe being in the way how can I comment on the ease of that from the scribble stuff?
I dont get your question of difficulty some guys want 500 to 1500 to tear this out and re- work and if its his fault or not he might tell a differant story. if its his fault Well Im really sorry he has to fix it your fault Im sorry this shouldnt be a freebie

Reach4

Reaction score
I think OP may be asking how hard it is to dig into the slab, and move the closet flange to the desired spot.

Who poured the concrete?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think OP may be asking how hard it is to dig into the slab, and move the closet flange to the desired spot.

Who poured the concrete?
Its easy a couple thousand dollars he will be happy to do it ? I dont get it Construction is a hard dirty buisness but its our job as long as we get paid we got nothing to complain about .

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The work itself is difficult. I would estimate that there would be at least 3-4 hours to demo out the concrete and expose the piping. There will be a big difference if there is rebar in the way and if you're planning vinyl or tile floor as the edges of the cut will need to be repaired differently. If they simply need to extend the drain, which would be the easiest, that would take about 2 hours to get it ready for concrete patching.

If I were estimating the project, that is the times I would be allocating to it.

Breplum makes a good point in the shower size. All plumbing codes have a Minimum space of 30" cylindrical that must be maintained inside a shower wall. The toilet must be 15" from its center to the nearest obstruction, both on the shower side and the sink/vanity side.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The work itself is difficult. I would estimate that there would be at least 3-4 hours to demo out the concrete and expose the piping. There will be a big difference if there is rebar in the way and if you're planning vinyl or tile floor as the edges of the cut will need to be repaired differently. If they simply need to extend the drain, which would be the easiest, that would take about 2 hours to get it ready for concrete patching.

If I were estimating the project, that is the times I would be allocating to it.

Breplum makes a good point in the shower size. All plumbing codes have a Minimum space of 30" cylindrical that must be maintained inside a shower wall. The toilet must be 15" from its center to the nearest obstruction, both on the shower side and the sink/vanity side.
I dont get the dificulty havent we all busted out concrete and installed pipes ? and most of us have busted it back out again for changes its a very common occurance people screw up or change thier mind and make changes, no big deal show me the money is all? like someone runs into your car and dents the fender we dont care how hard it is to fix, it would be super hard for me to fix a dented fender and paint it like new (basicaly impossibly difficult)
So if owner makes changes no big deal as long as we get fair prices for the work no biggie

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're right, its not difficult for a competent skilled person who has the experience of doing it a few times. But I do think its a fair estimation of time. Almost nothing happens as quickly as we think it will.

And now that I'm thinking about it.. Texas has a lot of Post Tension slabs which could greatly complicate things.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're right, its not difficult for a competent skilled person who has the experience of doing it a few times. But I do think its a fair estimation of time. Almost nothing happens as quickly as we think it will.

And now that I'm thinking about it.. Texas has a lot of Post Tension slabs which could greatly complicate things.
We have tons of post tension as well , one more variable . I cant make heads or tails off his measurements if he has a bath tub 30 incher its perfect for the toilet 4ft 3 with a half inch to spare. but no idea what shower he has.

JimFromAustin

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, this is not post tension slab, simple form and rebar. The plans were in place, I did not change my mind. That is my wifes job anyway. ha ha. The forms were set, the pre-pour plumbing put in place, and a pre-pour inspection took place. I was not involved in any of that, the GC handled all that. This is all by the book. I have recently started working close with these guys, I was digging trenches with them today. So I feel bad that this has occurred, so I was simply asking, what am I asking of them when I ask them to correct this. I also put a lot of time and energy getting the right foundation contractor. The concrete is near and dear to me, the last thing I want to do is dig it up. Anyway, I would do my best to help them out, and that is why I am here asking questions.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
ok I understand I totally get it sounds like the gc owns this problem but yea I get a soft spot sometimes on mistakes people have made working for me too.
ok well Jim My best advice is for the gc and plumber to closely review the measurements they should be able to figure this but wouldnt hurt to have a 3rd pair of eyes but you really have to know the size of the shower and the cabinet including overhang on the countertop and the space away from the wall looks like a 24 inch vanity and have that minimum 15 inches inside I like 16 minimum or more

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plumber missed the toilet drain hole by 2.5", concrete has been poured. Is it difficult to break up the concrete and move the drain to where it should be? 22.5" before wall installed is just not wide enough for a shower. 25" was already tight. The toilet drain is very close to the whole house drain, basically underneath this bathroom.

View attachment 98534

Did you hire a LICENSED plumber and get the work inspected? Doesn't look like he paid any attention to minimums. Call your plumber. He fucked it up. Let him fix it. you get an automatic 1-year warranty on his work. Let him fix it. get it inspected.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks