Scabs on Cast Iron Sewer Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Tbbarch

Reaction score
I have a leak at the bottom of an elevated cast iron pipe, in a crawl space. It is assumed to be a pin-hole leak from internal corrosion since there is no evident damage to the outside of the pipe.
This is only the second time I have worked on a leak in cast iron.
During preparations for cutting out the leaking section of cast iron I found some brown lumps on the outside upper half of the pipe about 18" down stream.
I scraped these brown lumps to get a flush surface and they come off like flesh wound scabs. There is a divot underneath but no apparent hole.
Anyone have insight into what these "scabs" are?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its likely rust coming through from the inside. I would recommend replacing that entire section of pipe if its got multiple failure points.

Tbbarch

Reaction score
Its likely rust coming through from the inside. I would recommend replacing that entire section of pipe if its got multiple failure points.
I would have thought it to be rust too except it is not on the bottom half of the pipe. Do you have an idea as to why it is corroding from the outside in as opposed to the inside out?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Without seeing the pipe its hard to make any kind of diagnosis. Generally pipe that is above grade and in a relatively dry environment is only going to degrade from the inside out. And I have seen lead pipe degrade from the top of the pipe first likely due to acids in urine.

I would still think that the issue is coming from the inside of the pipe and the visible part on the outside is just the tip of the iceberg.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks