Double Sink With DW + Disposal

Users who are viewing this thread

jimrawls

Reaction score
Curious on why to use a baffle tee rather than a combo wye to connect the outlet flow? Builder used to baffle tee and we have had issues over the 10 yrs here. I put in a new disposal so now the time for a change if a flow advantage is there. Now the drain outside is turned 20 or so degrees towards the left hand sink, and the disposal is on the right sink (shallower). My thought is to put the P Trap on the left where it is out to the drain, and rather than a baffle tee, put in a combo wye which the disposal will connect. The DW is also into the disposal. The AAV is done correct for an island so no issues there. Would not the combo wye handle the water out better than the constriction inherent in a baffle tee? And my thought also is to use the disposal provided tail, then down to two 45 degree hard PVC fittings (long 90 degree), straight across to the wye. Thanks to anyone with a little insight. Either solution is code here in AL.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive allways used tubular fittings with the baffel tee my gut says no reason why your idea wouldnt drain as good as or better more work harder to make it look clean , its an issue that really isnt an issue would be the argument against changing it. Go for it see how you like it, Im not going to but no big deal

jimrawls

Reaction score
Thx. Using that long sweep 90 off the disposal will probably drop that horizontal run about 2", but the waste outlet connecting the P trap should allow for it. We've always had single basin sinks with GD so that was easy. Now my only question would be with that combo wye I shouldn't have a issue with water going up into the sink basin should I? I don't think so. Again thx...

jimrawls

Reaction score
Curious on why to use a baffle tee rather than a combo wye to connect the outlet flow? Builder used to baffle tee and we have had issues over the 10 yrs here. I put in a new disposal so now the time for a change if a flow advantage is there. Now the drain outside is turned 20 or so degrees towards the left hand sink, and the disposal is on the right sink (shallower). My thought is to put the P Trap on the left where it is out to the drain, and rather than a baffle tee, put in a combo wye which the disposal will connect. The DW is also into the disposal. The AAV is done correct for an island so no issues there. Would not the combo wye handle the water out better than the constriction inherent in a baffle tee? And my thought also is to use the disposal provided tail, then down to two 45 degree hard PVC fittings (long 90 degree), straight across to the wye. Thanks to anyone with a little insight. Either solution is code here in AL.
Adding a picture of what I think is the best option?
1711476027925.png

Thoughts? Option is a horizontal line out of the GD across to a baffle tee, then down to the p trap.
1711476112473.png

Reach4

Reaction score
Curious on why to use a baffle tee rather than a combo wye to connect the outlet flow?
How about a photo? The picture in your head probably differs from the one in mine.

A wye in the vertical plane would need a lot of elevation change available. A wye in the horizontal plane... is that what you are considering?

jimrawls

Reaction score
How about a photo? The picture in your head probably differs from the one in mine.

A wye in the vertical plane would need a lot of elevation change available. A wye in the horizontal plane... is that what you are considering?
It's in the vertical. That first photo is how I want to change it. Mind you when I get the combo wye in the mail this week I can't confirm if the room is there below the wye to the p trap. I do think so but it will be close. So that will drive having both options. I can also use a elbow off the GD to turn it horizontal, though I am not sure the two 90 degree turns over 3-4 inches off the GD is ideal either. Thx!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score

That isnt what I had in mind , but could be his idea in which case , Id scrap the plan Dosent sound good to me

jimrawls

Reaction score
That isnt what I had in mind , but could be his idea in which case , Id scrap the plan Dosent sound good to me
Thx. Nope it is in the vertical. I'm aware that 3-4 inch change may not work hence a plan B of the baffle tee. Again thx...

Reach4

Reaction score
Note that with slip joint drain stuff, as in the second photo, the slip joint trap, and all, can be easily disassembled for clearing. With the common white polypropylene pipes, you can actually spot a clog by backlighting the pipes and tees with your bright flashlight.

Plus, if you were to change the disposal or sink later, the slip-joint stuff would simplify that.

jimrawls

Reaction score
Us Westcoasters never put in white tubular its always black
Thx. That's what I have. Seems better to me. Mind you I have been DIY'ng since the 90s and a few total gut to gut stud jobs, so not an expert like you folks in the trades. Just an old IT engineer, who can make it work and work fast. Military enabled those skills. Again thx.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thx. That's what I have. Seems better to me. Mind you I have been DIY'ng since the 90s and a few total gut to gut stud jobs, so not an expert like you folks in the trades. Just an old IT engineer, who can make it work and work fast. Military enabled those skills. Again thx.
I m poking a little fun but really we pretty much all use black i gues because our pipes in the wall are black i think in florida where pvc is king everyone goes white on the undersink plumbing no big deal. I just caved in to peer pressure LOL.

jimrawls

Reaction score
I m poking a little fun but really we pretty much all use black i gues because our pipes in the wall are black i think in florida where pvc is king everyone goes white on the undersink plumbing no big deal. I just caved in to peer pressure LOL.
Got it. Yea here in Bama it's all white 2 + 4", but up in VA in our house was all black. Understand why as well. I'll try the baffle tee and see. We don't grind small game or malted beverage bottles in the GD so we should be good. If not I'll do Santee. Combo tee took too many vertical inches.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks