Pump banging side of well...

Users who are viewing this thread

J Ellis

Reaction score
Hello,

I could use some advice, tips, etc...

I have a 245ft. well with a pump that stopped working so I pulled it and replaced it.

Upon inspecting the pump, one side of the pump appeared to have been hitting the side of the well. The stainless housing showed damage consistent with striking-rubbing, it was where the manufacturers labeling, nameplate was stamped into the pump. I also recall feeling the pump hitting the bottom of the well after I screwed in my t-wrench and lowering it down into the casing.
There were no torque arrestors on the pump at all. After putting the new pump in, I put only one torque arrestor on the black pipe but may have put it too far up above the pump, about three feet. I did cut about 2-3 feet off the pipe before attaching the new pump.

After running the new pump I DID NOT get any contamination on my sediment filter at all, the filter was clean and then roughly six months later the sediment returns, but not near the same thickness or amount I was getting with the old pump.

I have a theory and you experts are welcome to weigh in. I think the original pump was striking the well side and knocking crap in the well. When I installed the new pump, I raised it up a couple of feet and it drew relatively clean water for a few months. Because I had a torque arrestor but it's mounted up above the pump too far, it's lightly banging the well casing and it took a few months for it to start knocking crap in the well.

I wish I had a remote camera I could drop down the well on a rope and see whats going on.

So anyone care to weigh in? Does my theory hold water or anyone care to share what they think?

The sediment crap I am referring to is an orange pasty like substance.

Jeff

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Where do you live? In area where there's a drought?

The orange pasty stuff is iron.

We always put at least 2 torque arrestors on an install. I've got 700' installs with 8 torques arrestors!

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think it's more likely you well experiences seasonal variation than the pump knocks stuff off the well.

It'd be an expensive camera to see what's going on at 245 ft. The kind of camera you don't risk damaging putting it into a well with poly pipe.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think it's more likely you well experiences seasonal variation than the pump knocks stuff off the well.

It'd be an expensive camera to see what's going on at 245 ft. The kind of camera you don't risk damaging putting it into a well with poly pipe.

Gotta be sure to have an Up Z Dazy or hoist truck on site

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a theory and you experts are welcome to weigh in. I think the original pump was striking the well side and knocking crap in the well. When I installed the new pump, I raised it up a couple of feet and it drew relatively clean water for a few months. Because I had a torque arrestor but it's mounted up above the pump too far, it's lightly banging the well casing and it took a few months for it to start knocking crap in the well.

When you pulled the pump, the water line was visible on the pipe. Did you note how far above the pump the water line was?

From what I have read, pump is commonly set about 20 ft above the bottom, although it can be higher or lower for various reasons. The static level being low would be a reason to go lower. Sucking sediments and having plenty of water above the pump is a reason to go higher.

When you place a torque arrestor, how far should that be expanded?

J Ellis

Reaction score
Where do you live? In area where there's a drought?

The orange pasty stuff is iron.

We always put at least 2 torque arrestors on an install. I've got 700' installs with 8 torques arrestors!

I live in Western PA. Doesn't having that many torque arrestors slow down how fast the water refills the well?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I live in Western PA. Doesn't having that many torque arrestors slow down how fast the water refills the well?

No, but having torque arrestors can make it hard to pull the pump when they get stiff and tight. Torque arrestors might keep the pump from banging against the casing, but it doesn't stop the original problem, which is your pump is cycling on and off too much. I don't use any torque arrestors. But I use a Cycle Stop Valve on every pump so the cycling doesn't bang the pump around like that.

MI Well Drilling

Oh well !
Reaction score
I didn't read anything that said his pump was cycling on and off. Good pitch though.
You may have a line check valve that doesn't shut all the way on occasion. That would surely cause the iron to break loose. Try adding another one under the pitless adapter. It's definitely worth a shot. Remember that the black pipe the pumps hanging on comes in a roll so it naturally wants to bend making the pump touch one side of the casing.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Most people don't even realize how many times a day their pump is cycling on and off. Even when they they have a failure most people don't understand that cycling on and off was the cause. But when the check valve is worn out, the wire is chaffed, the spines are stripped, the pressure switch points are burned, the start cap and/or relay is out, the motor is locked up, the bladder is broken, or when it is obvious the motor has been "banging/striking" the side of the casing, you know the pump has been cycling on/off too much. None of these things cause a problem when the pump only cycles 20 times a day compared to cycling 100-300 times per day.

I have pulled some out that others installed, but I have never installed or needed to install a torque arrestor. When you install systems that don't cycle repeatedly, you don't need torque arrestors, you won't have chaffed wire, bad checks, busted bladders, etc., and you won't see where the motor has been "banging/striking" the side of the casing.

Yes the curve in poly pipe can cause the motor to touch the casing, but it is usually the very end of the motor that is pushed to the side enough to touch. When the label on the side of the motor is rubbed, it tells me the pump is hanging straight, and the rub marks are caused by cycling. Nearly all failures in a pump system can be attributed to cycling in one way or another.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks