Recent content by Djd5059

1. Djd5059

6-month-old well suddenly pulling sediment and cloudy water

I think we're going to try a 1 micron filter and see if that improves things/see how long it lasts without clogging. If we can get them for a reasonable price, we could replace the filter once a week for ten years before we hit the $4k quoted for the alum-chlorine-carbon system. (That's worst...
  2. Djd5059

We are now the proud owners of a Big Blue cartridge filter - 4.5" x 10" with a 5 micron filter. We know there are other, possibly better solutions, but this is what the professional in front of use sells and recommends. We have a new baby coming in the next week or two, so getting something done...
  3. Djd5059

Second tester has come and gone. He found 2 grains per gallon hardness at the kitchen sink 15 grains per gallon and 0 iron drawing straight from the well. Again, no bacteria test until after we get the turbidity under control. He's recommending a cartridge filter and a UV light, around $900...
  4. Djd5059

Just remembered a second bit from the tester's visit that I wanted to relate: When testing for calcium, his method was to collect a sample in a test tube and add a bit of powder from a small silver packet. While doing this, he explained that if the water turned red, there was a problem. If it...
  5. Djd5059

Just had a gentleman here to test our water. He tested for calcium and iron on site but did not take a sample for bacterial testing. His rationale was that our turbidity is so high, any results would be skewed. He recommended we install a filter to deal with the turbidity and then test for...
  6. Djd5059

I'll update the thread next week when I have the info from the testing. Thanks to everyone for all of the advice.
  7. Djd5059

Thanks for the tips, Bannerman. The drillers indicated 30gpm when they put in the well for a flow rate. I believe that is estimated. Recovery rate was not indicated. No, comprehensive testing was not done when the well was put in. We're in central Pennsylvania, and while we are only one valley...
  8. Djd5059

It's definitely silt. There's a thin layer at the bottom of our toilet tanks, and it is silky between fingers, not gritty or sticky. Whatever the issue is seems to have cleared up again. I filled the washtub in our laundry room halfway, and the water was clear. Ditto for the water flowing into...
  9. Djd5059

Thanks! Just talked to the guy with the drilling company. He backed off on "cleaning," which I'm thinking now was just something he said to appease me on the first call for whatever reason. (I don't recall being a jerk about it or anything.) He did stick by the time of year explanation - we are...
  10. Djd5059

We built a house last year, moved in at the end of August. Our well is 260 feet deep with 60 feet of casing, 30gpm when it was drilled. We run a water softener. Others in our neighborhood have had issues with their water (bacteria, solids, etc.) and have installed whole house filters. It's a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks