Kohler faucet pressure balance problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Buzz

Reaction score
We just moved into a house that was remodeled just prior to the sale.

The shower in the master bath has a Kohler faucet.

There is a problem with the mix of hot & cold water.

The shower doesn't get hot enough until the handle is almost all the way to the hot stop. When you turn the handle, at first there is good strong flow through the cold temp range. As the handle nears the hot stop, the water volume decreases to a low pressure. At full stop, the water is too hot to shower comfortably. As you back off, the water pressure increases. By the time it gets to a nice flow the mix is too cold. The adjustment is very sensitive-- it goes from too hot/weak to too cold in a very small change in handle position.

It seems that either the hot is too low pressure or the cold is too strong to get the right mix.

This is the only shower with this problem. The hot water flow at the nearby sink is fine and has good pressure.

Is there a way to adjust the balance? Replace the pressure balancing unit? Something else?

Thanks.

Buzz

Reaction score
Found the answer. Thought I'd post just in case somebody was searching the archives.

I called the company that did the plumbing.

Turns out that the hot water valve had a tiny wood shaving in it. Now my shower works perfectly.

plumbdee

Reaction score
Too Hot Too Cold

I am having the same problem with our Kohler faucet. I thought the entire valve was bad, so I replaced it and put in new grommets and the faucet is still too hot or too cold. Even after turning very slowly to balance, it does not work. You mentioned a wood piece stuck in the hot water valve. Can you tell me where to find just the hot water valve?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This thread is about two years old...I kind of doubt he's going to answer!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks