Rusty water in new tub/shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

doughboy63

Reaction score
This weekend I installed a new tub/shower valve including new iron pipe and elbow that comes down from the union to the downspout. Each morning the first time the water is turned on rusty water initially comes out. I realized this is probably just the water oxidizing the new iron pipe. My question is how long will this continue or is there anything I can do to stop it? The old pipe did not do this. Thanks in advance. Erik

doughboy63

Reaction score
I can see that as a solution. But the previous setup which was approx 50 yrs old did not do this. I would have reused the pipe but it turned out to be too short with the new spout. Will this continue for days, weeks, etc?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
doughboy63 said:
I can see that as a solution. But the previous setup which was approx 50 yrs old did not do this. I would have reused the pipe but it turned out to be too short with the new spout. Will this continue for days, weeks, etc?

The older piping was glazed over with corrosion, thus not allowing bare metal being exposed anymore like it is now....and will continue for some time. That piping is weakest at the threaded ends, the thinnest section of the pipe which normally can break over time due to the water.

That issue will slowly stain porcelain if it continues.

I get calls for this issue all the time and enjoy the $$$ from it. I come in and switch to brass or copper and leave knowing how simple the fix is.

Why people continue to use this piping is probably based merely on cost...which I can't complain too much because it provides me job security.

Water heater, 2 years old, switched these to brass for the very reason above AND below:

ATTTA012.jpg

75 gallon gas water heater. An ignorant licensed plumber back then did this to my now customer of 2 years. The customers were furious when I pulled this out of the tank. Seemed like the plumber intentionally did this so he'd have a job when there was a rust/pressure issue stemming from the water heater.

Last edited:

doughboy63

Reaction score
Thanks for the further explanation. I used iron because that is what the installation instructions said to use. I wasn't looking for it in HD but did not notice Brass pipe. Is this carried at the big box store or just supply houses? I ended up needing a 6 1/4" peice threaded on both ends. Obviously not a standard size. Can this be cut an re-threaded like the iron pipe. Thanks again Rugged.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Brass pipe can be cut and threaded just the same as galvanized pipe. You should be able to find it at Big Box Stores as well as fittings. It's expensive, but for one or two pieces you won't have to mortgage the farm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks