3" drain pipe pitching

Users who are viewing this thread

jeremiah18702

Reaction score
I am currently installing a 3" inch drain pipe in my basement under the first floor to serve a back bathroom. I am running a pitch of 1/2" per foot with a distance of roughly 10 feet. Will this be too much pitch for that size pipe which requires a minimum of 1/8" per foot?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
General slope question

1/4" per foot is OK, and vertical is OK, but in-between isn't totally OK. Does anyone have any data or authority defining the not-OK in-between range?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pitch

There is none. 1/4" is OK, vertical is OK, 45 degrees is OK, and so is anything in between them. Why would horizontal and 45 be Ok, but 1/2" or 30 degrees not be? The same with anything betwee 45 and 90 degrees.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Don't know, but I've been told by various people in the trade, and one inspector, that "too much slope" is cause for flunking an inspection. Never made sense to me, but one story I've heard is that if there's too much slope, the water outruns the poop (if I may use a technical term), and the poop stays behind, eventually causing a blockage.

Prashster

Reaction score
The 'theory' is that the water in the drain pipe needs to act like a 'flume' and carry the solids with it. If the pitch is too steep, the water runs off, leaving the solids to get caught up in the friction of the pipe.

I have been advised that this is more of a problem in large diameter, high friction concrete pipes carrying large volumes of waste. Most plumbers (I've asked) say it is not a problem in practice with smaller, pvc pipes.

On threads I've read, 1/2" seems to be a non issue. It's when you get steeper to 30 and 45 degrees that you'd even consider adhering to this "Old Wives Tale".

I CAN say that in the plumbing books I've read, some empirical testing has been done on this and 1/4" has been deemed to be 'optimal'.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pitch

Many laboratories have tested the theory and all have debunked it. 1/4" is the "optimal" because that is the least that works properly. I have never had a system fail because of too much pitch, and it it did, I would contact his superior before changing it.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
hj said:
Many laboratories have tested the theory and all have debunked it. 1/4" is the "optimal" because that is the least that works properly. I have never had a system fail because of too much pitch, and it it did, I would contact his superior before changing it.

if it is a straight run then too much slope makes no difference. If you have a lot of turns in a long run the eventually the water will outrun the solids. Old time plumbers used to "dive" the pipe all the time (at least in hawaii) with no problems.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

If you have a lot of turns in a long run, you have a poorly installed system, and it doesn't make any difference how much, or little, slope you have it will create a problem.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
hj said:
If you have a lot of turns in a long run, you have a poorly installed system, and it doesn't make any difference how much, or little, slope you have it will create a problem.

1/4" per slope provides the most efficient scouring capabilities of the waste water running through the pipes (2 ft per sec on pipes 3" and larger). Less or more slope degrades the scouring capabilities of the water running through the pipe. Properly installed you can have many turns without problems. Ideally you use the least amount of fittings/turns as as possible, but it depends on the particular situation. To say that you will have problems or a poorly designed system simply based on numerous turns ie erroneous.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ells

winslow said:
1/4" per slope provides the most efficient scouring capabilities of the waste water running through the pipes (2 ft per sec on pipes 3" and larger). Less or more slope degrades the scouring capabilities of the water running through the pipe. Properly installed you can have many turns without problems. Ideally you use the least amount of fittings/turns as as possible, but it depends on the particular situation. To say that you will have problems or a poorly designed system simply based on numerous turns ie erroneous.

Okay, then I will say that a design with numerous turns COULD BE an poor design, or installation, by someone without the necessary imagination to CLEAN up the design. If it were not a potential problem, cleanouts would not be required after every 90 degrees of turning.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks