Tub drain to copper

Users who are viewing this thread

BSwanson

Reaction score
My new tub has a PVC drain, and the cut-off stub of the pre-existing drain is copper. What's the best way to connect this?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to use a banded coupling that is specificly made to go from copper to plastic. You can get them at some L***s stores and most plumbing supply stores.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Is the copper the main drain's riser, or part of the old tub drain. If it is 1 1/2" copper then you can solder a trap adapter onto it and then slip your PVC drain into it and tighten the slip nut. If it is part of the old drain you have to remove it and get down to the main drain pipe.

perrycat

Reaction score
that special fernco the guy was talking about is right, it's called a mission coupling, and it goes one side copper and one side pvc, ferguson's sells them.
Perrycat

BSwanson

Reaction score
Connection is in the floor

Thanks for your help! I got one of those banded connectors (rubber sleeve with steel cover, 2 rings to tighten). I am not going to be able to acess that connection-it's on the second floor. Of course there is an acess panel, and Houdini could probably get to it. Is that OK?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks