PDA

View Full Version : Toto/Aquia

Mike50
02-07-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm going for it. I'm shopping for best price in a day or two.
What's the deal with the rough in adapter? Do all ToTo's need that?
I have no idea what my rough in is (probably 12?)

Would it be better if my plumber looked at this situation first?
Or should I just buy that bad boy adapter now....?

This an evil website. 4 weeks ago I thought ToTo was Dorothy's little rat faced dog in the Wizard of Oz. Now Im buying a green toilet from Thailand..
go figure....

Comments/reviews appreciated...

Mike50
http://www.terrylove.com/wc/toto/aquia_top_view.jpg
the shopping cart (http://www.terrylove.com/store/index.htm)

Mike50
02-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Also any explanation of the water trickle sound would be appreciated.
As another poster said a week ago-this aquia will go in the master bath adjoining bedroom.

Mike

Terry
02-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Water trickel?

You're having that anyway when you "tinkle".

The toilet comes with the adapter for the standard 12" rough-in.

Mike50
02-08-2006, 05:51 AM
Terry,

Also, I've read in some of the posts that the plastic drain connection on the Aquia makes a trickling noise when liquid enters the bowl. Would wrapping this with insulation before sliding the toilet in place quiet this? Or is it really not that noticeable? The toilet will be in a master bath and it would be best if it was a s quiet as possible.

I guess I was confusing the sound issue with the washlet/aquia problem Johnl had with his. And there is no noise...

Mike50

Spokaneman
02-08-2006, 08:44 AM
The roughin is the distance from the wall to the center of the flange. Most are 12", some are 10 and some are 14. Easy to measure. Toto's that use the unifit come with a 12" adapter, if the rough in is 10 or 14 you have to buy that adapter. The unifit is very easy to install, and installing the toilet over the unifit is also very easy, easier to me than putting a wax ring on the bottom of a standard toilet and trying to ease into a flange without damaging it.

I installed a couple of Vespins and it took me longer to get the things out of the shipping containers than it did to actually do the install.

Mike50
02-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks. Im not 100% sure if mine is a 12-but I think so. I was wondering if all Aquia's come with that adapter or it was a separate item.

As a side note: I'm really "getting" that the steeper bowl is necessary
for a low flush to do the job. That along with a smaller water spot
raises concerns with some people if you read between the lines on reviews etc.

I'm one to try newer technologies so Im willing to accept a somewhat lesser efficient 1.6 flush just to have this item.
Especially considering that this is the 2nd toilet and used only occasionally.

I went thru all these concerns when I bought my pellet stove to heat the home.
Newer tech raises newer issues both positive and negative.
If you cannot accept that then..play it safe-stick with what you know.
The pellet stove was a good decision and this is as well, I believe.

OTOH, my feeling about this would be entirely different if I were a plumber
designer or architect.

Terry
02-08-2006, 12:56 PM
The bowl of the Aquia is fairly standard in shape, except that the lower part drops down sharply and has a small water spot. That is the case with most dual-flush toilet bowls.

jadnashua
02-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Terry pointed out earlier that the Aquia can only use the 12" adapter...my guess is that unlike others that use it, the back is closed, and therefore no room for the toilet to slide one way or the other.

Terry
02-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Look like I should take some pictures.

The Aquia adapter is unlike the Unifit.

It uses three pieces, one over the flange, and the bowl slides in from the front, not from the top,

And two blocks that screw to the floor.

It's apples and oranges here.
The parts on these don't mix.
Parts for for Aquia (http://www.terrylove.com/pdf/cst414m_parts.pdf)

Mike50
02-08-2006, 03:02 PM
So...if my rough in isn't 12" then it wont work Jadnashua...?
I can't imagine that would be the case-but that is how your post reads..

I need to be sure it will fit before I go further.

Terry-Thank You for for the pic. It explains a lot.
IMO it's the best looking toilet in its class as well with that minimalist design.

jadnashua
02-08-2006, 03:09 PM
The vast majority of toilets are 12" in the USA. If the flange is further away from the wall than that (measured to the middle - the bolt holes from the finished wall), then it will still work, but sit furtherfrom the wall. If the flange is too close, then there isn't enough room for it to fit. There is usually a little leaway thatdepends on the specific toilet of as much as an inch, usually less, so that something like say 11.5 might still work. Depends on the toilet...haven't looked at the spec sheet for this toilet...it will show the gap when installed properly.

Mike50
02-08-2006, 03:22 PM
OK, Jadnashua...the bolt is exactly 12 inches from the wall.
so, I guess I'm in business..

jadnashua
02-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Sounds good to me! :)

Mike50
02-10-2006, 07:40 AM
Wow. This was a top 10 award winner from these folks at "Building Green".
good article.

Article:
http://www.buildinggreen.com/auth/article.cfm?fileName=141110a.xml

Top 10:
http://www.buildinggreen.com/auth/article.cfm?fileName=141207e.xml

I had a very interesting conversation with a rep from Toto recently.
I asked him his opinion of my local retailers around here. Dang, did I get an earfull, presumably off the record which I will not publish here.
He made some *interesting observations based on personal experience* about a well known supplier(s).
I'll just leave it at that...LOL :D

Mike50
02-23-2006, 07:41 AM
Need some guidance here. My Aquia will be installed in a couple weeks.
I want to buy a plunger that will fit that extreme slope shape of bowl for when the occasion arises. I just want to be ready and buy one now.
I currently own a standard off the shelf (with that protruding lip).
I placed it in position inside the uninstalled Aquia and no-way will that make a seal.

I need a brand name. Terry??

thanks...

Mike50

rapiti
02-25-2006, 06:22 AM
I am shopping Toto for the first time, and the Aquia is on the list. How does the flush compare with the G-Max on other models?

#1 reason for shopping Toto is to forget what a plunger looks like.

#2 is the Aquia has the liquids/solids choice, like most toilets in Europe.

If the Aquia flush is slightly more clog-prone than one with G-Max, we will go G-Max.

One more question: This is literally in a wc, and the swing of the door comes within 33 inches of the back wall (if rough in is 12", front of toilet can be no more than 33" from same wall.) Is there a place that I can find these dimensions?

Thanks for the informative site.

Terry
02-25-2006, 11:53 AM
http://www.terrylove.com/wc/toto/aquia_inside_tank.jpg

Performance on the Aquia is good. The trapway is quite large too.
I don't think anyone is going to be plunging this much.

The top of the tank has a button divided by two, small part for liquids and the larger part of the button for solids.

The toilet is 27-1/4" long, so with a standard 12" rough, expect it go be out from the wall 27-3/4".

That's a very compact elongated bowl design.

rapiti
02-25-2006, 01:39 PM
http://www.terrylove.com/wc/toto/aquia_inside_tank.jpg

Performance on the Aquia is good. The trapway is quite large too.
I don't think anyone is going to be plunging this much.

The top of the tank has a button divided by two, small part for liquids and the larger part of the button for solids.

The toilet is 27-1/4" long, so with a standard 12" rough, expect it go be out from the wall 27-3/4".

That's a very compact elongated bowl design.

Does the Aquia have consumable parts? How much for whatever it uses for a flapper?
Parts for for Aquia (http://www.terrylove.com/pdf/cst414m_parts.pdf)

Thanks

inquirer22
02-28-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm thinking of replacing my 3.5 gallon American Standard (probably from around 1977 when I believe the house was built).

My reasons for considering an Aquia are:

1) Dual flush sounds so environmentally correct as well as money saving since you only use .9 gallons for liquid only flushes.

2) I like the skirts on the toilet.
a) Newer toilets show the "bowels" of the toilet which I don't care to see.
b) Because of the smooth shape, I"m more likely to see anything that needs cleaning sooner than on the old fashon bowel shape followed by a steep angle to the base.
3) I like the fact that even though the Aquia isn't ADA, it is higher than the standard 14.5".
4) It seems not too expensive -- Under $300.00.
5) It is a Toto, and so many websites list Toto as the brand that many plumbers prefer for their own homes.

I am new to the 1.6 gallon toilet world. There aren't many Toto distributers in my area, and the ones I have checked out don't know much about the Aquia. They want to sell Toto's, but one comment is that if the Aquia is new it is probably going to have problems early on -- as did the Champion (http://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4833). Anyway, here are some of my concerns. [Please understand that they may sound like dumb questions, but I've never had to deal with the possibility of buying a 1.6 gallon toilet.]

-----------------------

1) Is it the nature of the beast that you have skid marks with 1.6 toilets?
Is it especially true for the Aquia given that they have a small water area?

2) Are 1.6 gallon toilets a bad way to go if you have people in your household that have large stools. Or would it be an extra problem with something that has a dual flush mechanism even if you choose the 1.6 button to flush?

3) Is it a problem to flush 1.6 toilets if you use a lot of toilet paper, or the toilet paper you use is rather thick? Or what about people who flush napkins, paper towels, sanitary napkins, dirty mop water, etc, does that present a real problem? (NOTE: I've lived in this house for 20 years and only called the plumber once because it turned out that the calcium along the rim had affected it some. I have never needed a snake or anything on my sewer line.)

4) Do you have to use a plunger more often?

5) If you use a strong toilet chemical declogger (which I assume contains strong acids), will it cause the plastic device that connects the toilet to the hole in the floor to weaken and eventually crack/leak/break/etc?

---------------
I called the tech support line at TotoUSA about Aquia concerns. He wasn't very positive about the Aquia. He mentioned a few things that bother me:

1) Dual Flush technology is below the performance of both G-Max & Power Gravity.

2) The Aquias don't have the "SanaGloss" finish, so they won't do as well at keeping away skid marks.

3) The water level is very low so more likely to miss and have skid marks that are exposed to the air -- not water.

4) The technology for the flush going straight down isn't as powerful, so it is better to go with the new "Cyclone" Toto flushing system. (Nothing against that, but the cost for such a system I was told is closer to $800.00.)

After hearing their tech, I even have more doubts about the Aquia or for that matter 1.6 toilets. What good is saving water on the flush if you end up flushing multiple times, cleaning it more often, putting up with smells. Lately, we've had a bit of problem with my 3.5 not flushing consistantly. However, I fear I"m in for a rude awakening. Thus, I'm getting fearful about parting with my 3.5 gallon toilet.

Can anyone enlightenme on 1.6 and specifically with the Aquia?

Thanks

Spokaneman
02-28-2006, 03:15 PM
I don't know about the Aquina, but I put in a couple of TOTO Vespins about two months ago and they couldn't work better. Both have the SG finish, and are very good at staying clean. I replaced a first generation 1.6 gallon and one that was in the house when it was built in 83 (were those 3.5 gallon?). Both of the old ones were very prone to clogging, particularly the 1.6 gallon. In two months I haven't had a clog or a double flush required. I've retired the plunger.

I suspect the dual flush wizbang is a bit of overkill, the Vespins are simple, but they work.

the shopping cart (http://www.terrylove.com/store/index.htm)

Spokaneman
02-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Oh, by the way, not to be indelicate, but I can put a pretty good load on the Vespin, if you know what I mean.

Terry
02-28-2006, 03:34 PM
"We bought this identical toilet in January and are very happy with it. We are now ready to install the toilet in our half bath and would like another one."
B. Hodapp 2/28/2006

inquirer22,
Performance on the Aquia is good, 800 on the MaP testing puts it right up there with G-Max.

Bowl wash is good, being a washdown bowl, there is a lot of water going over the china.

I have one in my home, and I've talked to others too, it stays pretty clean.
In my home, it's the most used toilet.

The Aquia has been out for six years in Tailand. It's not a new design.
It's a proven six year design on the dual flush. The fill valve is made by Korky, the same as in the G-Max systems.

It's not fair to even mention the name Champion and Aquia in the same breath.

When toilets plug, you don't put chemicals down the toilet.
That may be something that is used on kitchen grease, but not a toilet.
I haven't noticed that plastic was bad though. Most plumbing waste and vents are plastic. It's the metal ones that are eaten by chemicals.

The design is pretty clog free, and if it were to be plugged, something like a pail of water or a plunger would be fine.

My water bills are very small.

inquirer22
03-04-2006, 09:16 AM
Thanks everybody for your input. I did take the plunge (no pun intended), and I bought a Toto Aquia. (I may be one of the first people to get one in my town as I drove all the way to the Kansas City metro area just to find one Toto dealership that actually had even heard about the Aquia model and I was the second purchase at that store.)

FYI, I don't know how soon it will be installed because it is just one of many things we are remodelling in the bathroom. Here are my thoughts just from what I saw:

1) It wasn't as nice looking as the one-piece Caravelle Caroma that I saw, but it was a whole lot cheaper.

2) I didn't see it installed, but I do hope the water spot doesn't mean a streaky toilet. She did say that was her biggest complaint about the Caromas.

3) I wish the skirt went all the way back. I didn't like the fact that you can see the grey plastic piping that hooks into the floor. However, most people probably don't see the toilet from that angle since it will be in between the bathtub and a pedestal sink.

4) I am concerned that it might not fit in my bathroom given that it is elongated as opposed to round. The over all length isn't that much different from my current toilet when you realize that it could actually go closer to the wall. However, I assume the hole in the floor for the drain will determine just how close to the wall it can go. (I have a slab house.)

5) I kind of wish the flush button(s) could have been on the front or side so that the top could be used as a shelf. (Of course, 1.6 tank tops are much smaller than that of a 3.5-gallon tank top. So even if the button was elsewhere, you couldn't put much there anyway.)

4) Overall, I thought the Aquia was an attractive toilet -- as toilets go. The skirt and the shape of the bowel are very nice. The base curves upward before you sit the tank, which looks nice. The shape of this skirt and this curve I mention should make it much easier to keep clean.

Anyway, those were my thoughts. The real thing that counts will be how it turns out when I install it. I just hope that:

1) It flushes everything down with one flush.

2) It doesn't leak.

3) It doesn't clog.

4) It doesn't leave streaking.

5) It doesnít smell.

6) It lasts.

7) It saves water. (This one Iím not worried about given that it IS a dual flush.)

Anyway, if those conditions are met, then I'll be VERY happy with my purchase.

I should add that I didn't buy a Toto toilet seat. I didn't care for the plastic seats, as occasionally it is nice to be able to stand on the lid. They had a really attractive wooden seat, but I don't want to pay $200.00 for a seat. I'm just glad it takes a standard elongated seat so I can look around some to see what I want to get.

Iíll probably have questions when it is install time, but that might not be anytime soon. Thanks again for the input!

I also wanted to add that I really love the www.terrylove.com website. The remodelling project started over a year ago (we are REALLY slow), and I was convinced from all the hype that Champion was the toilet to get. It wasnít until I googled 1.6 gallon toilets and found this site that I questioned the hype about the Champion.

Mike50
03-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Inquirer-FYI-here is an award the Aquia recently won:
http://www.designjournalmag.com/product/Aquia_Dual_Flush_Toilet.htm

Mine will be installed tomorrow. It IS made in Thailand and has been used there for 6 years. I can't make any comments requiring performance but I think the world will be installing them in the coming years. Congratulations.

I don't think it's a matter of necessarily being a "Green" to want one. It's common sense that .9 gallon is plenty to flush a cup of urine.
A family of four might save 5700 gallons annually. Do the math on the impact it could have water conservation

I would not have found this item if not for Terry's site. thank you very much Terry.
It's a relatively new item here in the US. (less than one year)
Consequently it's featured in a big way as it should in the showrooms I've been to.

If I had the room I would also get one of the mini waterless urinals, made by another manufacturer.

Mike50

Mike50
03-09-2006, 07:54 AM
"We bought this identical toilet in January and are very happy with it. We are now ready to install the toilet in our half bath and would like another one."
B. Hodapp 2/28/2006

inquirer22,
Performance on the Aquia is good, 800 on the MaP testing puts it right up there with G-Max.

Bowl wash is really good, being a washdown bowl, there is a lot of water going over the china.

I have one in my home, and I've talked to others too, it stays pretty clean.
In my home, it's the most used toilet.

The Aquia has been out for six years in Tailand. It's not a new design.
It's a proven six year design on the dual flush. The fill valve is made by Korky, the same as in the G-Max systems.

It's not fair to even mention the name Champion and Aquia in the same breath.

When toilets plug, you don't put chemicals down the toilet.
That may be something that is used on kitchen grease, but not a toilet.
I haven't noticed that plastic was bad though. Most plumbing waste and vents are plastic. It's the metal ones that are eaten by chemicals.

The design is pretty clog free, and if it were to be plugged, something like a pail of water or a plunger would be fine.

My water bills are very small.

My Aquia is installed and everything above is true so far for me as well.
As with anything new people will find reasons to criticize-that's just human nature. Bowl wash is awesome.
It's a very fast but relatively quiet flush. They essentially expolited the gravity feature of toilets to the max.
It's also the coolest looking toilet out there except for Kohlers hatbox or
Toto's Neorest imo anyway. But for that kind of money I could put in a new patio.

The fact that it comes with a softclose seat makes it a big winner also.

This site has been of tremendous value to me. Thanks Terry.

Mike50

Mike50
03-09-2006, 08:19 AM
I'll make some editorial comments here. I'm unsure how quickly that developers/contractors will start installing Aquia's until the green movement goes mainstream in a big way. (another 5+ years is my estimate)

We know one thing: Most renters are unconcerned with water conservation. period.
It's interesting to note that Toto tried this toilet in Thailand for the last 6 years. Thai's are big on water conservation-they have been for hundreds of years. I'm a frequent traveler with family there as well.

It will be curious to watch and see if developers of rentals and apartment units start installing dual flush toilets. That would play well in SF/Marin county and Boston but the jury is still out on Cleveland and Detroit if you get my drift.

From my personal POV I have a real incentive to save. The average cost for water where I live is around 25 dollars per person per month. Which is ironic as we sit on a huge water table. Wells are not uncommon here.

Mike50

mtjl
03-09-2006, 02:45 PM
I'll make some editorial comments here. I'm unsure how quickly that developers/contractors will start installing Aquia's until the green movement goes mainstream in a big way. (another 5+ years is my estimate)

We know one thing: Most renters are unconcerned with water conservation. period.
It's interesting to note that Toto tried this toilet in Thailand for the last 6 years. Thai's are big on water conservation-they have been for hundreds of years. I'm a frequent traveler with family there as well.

It will be curious to watch and see if developers of rentals and apartment units start installing dual flush toilets. That would play well in SF/Marin county and Boston but the jury is still out on Cleveland and Detroit if you get my drift.

From my personal POV I have a real incentive to save. The average cost for water where I live is around 25 dollars per person per month. Which is ironic as we sit on a huge water table. Wells are not uncommon here.

Mike50

This sounds very promising to me in the way of water conservation. I'm one of the only ones on my block who refuses to water the lawn in summer. This last year our water/sewer bill (it's all on one bill) went up by $20 (rate increase) so I'm always looking at ways to decrease our water use, which can be tough with two kids. Since I've read that posts here (this is a great board!) about this toilet's preformance being as good as the G-max system, that has pretty much convinced me that this is what we are going to get. It's a shame it doesn't come with the SG finish. Funny, you have to spend money to save money, LOL. :p
Thanks for the info, it's been very helpful for me.
T.

TPA
03-09-2006, 04:58 PM

Mike50

I don't think it's that most renters are unconcerned about water conservation, rather, the builders/developers of these apartment complexes try to get away with building them as cheaply as possible. I've never seen such shoddy construction and cheap masterials, as I have in apartments. Some of the apartments make trailers look like good, solid construction (which they're not). Keep in mind that many of these developers only hang onto the property for 2-3 years before selling it to another company, so longevity and quality AREN'T their concern.

Mike50
03-09-2006, 05:22 PM
This sounds very promising to me in the way of water conservation. I'm one of the only ones on my block who refuses to water the lawn in summer. This last year our water/sewer bill (it's all on one bill) went up by $20 (rate increase) so I'm always looking at ways to decrease our water use, which can be tough with two kids. Since I've read that posts here (this is a great board!) about this toilet's preformance being as good as the G-max system, that has pretty much convinced me that this is what we are going to get. It's a shame it doesn't come with the SG finish. Funny, you have to spend money to save money, LOL. :p
Thanks for the info, it's been very helpful for me.
T.

This article from November 2005 FYI
http://www.buildinggreen.com/auth/article.cfm?filename=141110a.xml

I agree on the sanigloss but here is an option: use the Clorox w/Teflon Cleaner as Terry has mentioned. It's a product that works.
You can access the map reports as well.

Mike50

neoikon
06-28-2006, 08:51 AM
The bowl of the Aquia is fairly standard in shape, except that the lower part drops down sharply and has a small water spot. That is the case with most dual-flush toilet bowls.

I am very close to purchasing two of these units, though the one hesitation I have is the initial water level (the one complaint people seem to have with this unit). In the picture you show, is there water in it? Is the initial water level really THAT low that I can't even see it? Does it fill up at least the area where it "drops down sharply"?

Can anyone who has this unit or Terry himself give more details on the initial water level?

Thanks!
Daniel

Mike50
06-28-2006, 10:09 AM
see thread:
http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7267

AFAIAK the fear is a logical one however largely a myth. The design along with corresponding orients your entire body and the "problem" is a nonissue.

I don't know what else to tell you except that it works just fine and I've had mine for 4 months now.

In fact you WILL see less (man) spray than other toilets due to the conical
shape.

Terry
06-28-2006, 10:49 AM
The water level is not an issue with this model.
It's placed right where it needs to be.

I would say it's the most used toilet in my home.

Mike50
06-28-2006, 11:04 AM
The major companies known for innovation are all coming out with dual flush technology.
The TOTO design is by far the most attractive design. I don't see a better design coming along for years. It's that good. And was way ahead of it's time in 1999 with it's minimal/post modern design.
It's has a "wow" factor.

Non-Dual flush toilets are yesterdays news now imo. It has little to do with whether you are on the "green" bandwagon or not actually (also imo).

The fact of the matter is using .9 gallon of water to flush a cup of urine is MORE than you need. Common sense.

CORICK
12-02-2006, 05:02 PM
I am all set to but this toilet and come to find out that my rough in is 11"! This toilet is listed as a 12" rough in, but there is info on the TOTO site that says they have a 10" UNIFIT kit available as well. So I guess my question is, if the 12" kit (that comes with the toilet) doesnt fit, will the 10" kit allow me to put this toilet in. I hope you say yes or I may have to dive off the existing bowl and commit hari-potty-kari! Please help.:eek:

Ps... Well I have read through here and discovered that the UNIFIT doesnt UNIFIT with aquia. Had my heart set on this toilet for a quick remodel but it looks like 11" wont work. Please confirm when you have time that this is true.

Mike50
12-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Well, you will get your answer from the pros soon Im sure. I re-read the thread and I think Jim said in some cases an 11.5 will work..?

CORICK
12-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Mike, thanks for the feedback. I went back and double checked my measurements and its more like 10.5 to 10.75 (to the center of the floor gasket), so I see no way to fit the 12" rough to this toilet. Unless someone out there knows of an adapter other than UNIFIT (or similiar to it) that would work I am going to have to look for something else I guess. Damn, this toilet was perfect for what I was doing in everyway.

jadnashua
12-03-2006, 11:59 AM
The Unifit doesn't fit the Aquia. From the spec sheet, it looks like there is only about 1/4" clearance behind the toilet with a true 12" rough-in. Unless you can recess the thing into the wall a little, I think you are out of luck unless you want to move the flange.

ToolsRMe
12-04-2006, 08:44 PM

I purchased the Carlyle a few months ago. Is that a dual flush?

Mike50
12-05-2006, 10:16 AM
No it's not.

Terry
12-05-2006, 11:09 AM
I have the Toto Aquia in my house, and it's working very nice.

I also put one in Cathy's house, and now her daughters want one in theirs too.

They look great, flush everything down, very quiet and refill in nothing flat.

TPA
12-05-2006, 01:22 PM
My Aquias just arrived today (haven't been installed yet, probably going to be a week or so before the plumber arrives). I just noticed that the holes in the rim are different sizes. I'm assuming this is by design (knowing Toto), but just want to confirm. The 2nd Aquia is sitting underneath the first one, so I don't have easy access to it right now.

Mike50
12-05-2006, 01:54 PM
My Aquias just arrived today (haven't been installed yet, probably going to be a week or so before the plumber arrives). I just noticed that the holes in the rim are different sizes. I'm assuming this is by design (knowing Toto), but just want to confirm. The 2nd Aquia is sitting underneath the first one, so I don't have easy access to it right now.

Yes. Mine has the graduated hole sizes as well. Congrats.
The robust lesser .9 flush will exceed your expectations.

Mike

TPA
12-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the reply Mike.

I figured this was the only time I'd ever want to get THIS close to the toilet. Once they're hooked up and in-use, toilets aren't exactly places where you want to poke around and investigate. I'm an engineer, so of course, I have to totally over-analyze things.

I'm shocked at how deep the bowl is. No doubt, this is a large reason why the toilet is skirted. The bowl is nearly 15" deep, with an estimated water spot that's 8-9" deep. For reference, my POS American Standard toilets only have a water spot that's 4.5" deep if you're looking at the total depth of the water, including the bottom of the trapway, only 1" deep in the bowl (on both the elongated POS AS and the round POS AS.) Ironically, the surface area of the water spot in the Aquia is nearly identical to the POS AS Compact Elongated I have... so the extra depth of the Aquia should be a real improvement and reduce the odor issues I've had with the AS. Likewise, the POS AS Round's tiny trapway and shallow water spot meant that most of the solid waste was exposed to the air. So, in my case, the dual-flush toilet looks like it's going to have less soiling and smell associated with its use.

Basically, I can "see" how this is going to work...and I believe the varying rim hole sizes are engineered to maximize the fluid dynamics, very clever. I'm very impressed with it. For once, something which I look at and haven't had something stand out as being in need of improvement. I also can see where the Toto seats come into play. If you're lined up with the "funnel", then all is well. If not, then it'll be a less than optimal experience. I did order the Toto Softclose seats... couldn't justify the extra $$ for the Softclose Oval seats and I don't think they quite look as good... hoping the seat on them isn't that different from the regular Softclose.

Other things I've noticed and liked:
1) How small it is! This is an "elongated" toilet, but it's smaller in size than the POS AS Compact Elongated and the POS AS Round, drastically so. The Round is 28" long, the "Compact" Elongated is 30" long, while the Aquia is only 27". Even the width/size of the tank is tiny! If you thought you didn't have room for an elongated toilet, take a look at these, you might be surprised.

2) It's far better looking than I thought it'd be... I know, I know... it's a toilet.. but it actually looks good. Just changing out the toilets is going to make a difference in my bathrooms.

3) Concealed water supply. This toilet is about as close as it gets to a 1-piece toilet in terms of looks & such...but at the same time, I've never seen a toilet where the water supply line can be concealed.

If they perform even half as good as they look, I'll be happy...but have a feeling they'll perform far better. At any rate, just looking at the engineering on them, they'll easily outperform the POS AS toilets I've come to hate. At the same time, the AS toilets have given me a possible 2nd career path if I ever choose it, as I've become well-versed in the usage of a toilet auger with those.

Also, does anyone have any good dual-flush signs or possibly a .PDF version of the sticker on top of the tank? I'd like to remove the stickers, BUT want some way to notify my guests of the "proper" use in a tasteful manner. The dual-flush makes such sense to me. This past weekend, I used an old 6-gallon toilet from the 1940's... seemed like such a waste to use 6 gallons to flush down a minimal amount of urine.

Mike50
12-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the reply Mike.

I figured this was the only time I'd ever want to get THIS close to the toilet. Once they're hooked up and in-use, toilets aren't exactly places where you want to poke around and investigate. I'm an engineer, so of course, I have to totally over-analyze things.

I'm shocked at how deep the bowl is. No doubt, this is a large reason why the toilet is skirted. The bowl is nearly 15" deep, with an estimated water spot that's 8-9" deep. For reference, my POS American Standard toilets only have a water spot that's 4.5" deep if you're looking at the total depth of the water, including the bottom of the trapway, only 1" deep in the bowl (on both the elongated POS AS and the round POS AS.) Ironically, the surface area of the water spot in the Aquia is nearly identical to the POS AS Compact Elongated I have... so the extra depth of the Aquia should be a real improvement and reduce the odor issues I've had with the AS. Likewise, the POS AS Round's tiny trapway and shallow water spot meant that most of the solid waste was exposed to the air. So, in my case, the dual-flush toilet looks like it's going to have less soiling and smell associated with its use.

Basically, I can "see" how this is going to work...and I believe the varying rim hole sizes are engineered to maximize the fluid dynamics, very clever. I'm very impressed with it. For once, something which I look at and haven't had something stand out as being in need of improvement. I also can see where the Toto seats come into play. If you're lined up with the "funnel", then all is well. If not, then it'll be a less than optimal experience. I did order the Toto Softclose seats... couldn't justify the extra $$ for the Softclose Oval seats and I don't think they quite look as good... hoping the seat on them isn't that different from the regular Softclose.

Other things I've noticed and liked:
1) How small it is! This is an "elongated" toilet, but it's smaller in size than the POS AS Compact Elongated and the POS AS Round, drastically so. The Round is 28" long, the "Compact" Elongated is 30" long, while the Aquia is only 27". Even the width/size of the tank is tiny! If you thought you didn't have room for an elongated toilet, take a look at these, you might be surprised.

2) It's far better looking than I thought it'd be... I know, I know... it's a toilet.. but it actually looks good. Just changing out the toilets is going to make a difference in my bathrooms.

3) Concealed water supply. This toilet is about as close as it gets to a 1-piece toilet in terms of looks & such...but at the same time, I've never seen a toilet where the water supply line can be concealed.

If they perform even half as good as they look, I'll be happy...but have a feeling they'll perform far better. At any rate, just looking at the engineering on them, they'll easily outperform the POS AS toilets I've come to hate. At the same time, the AS toilets have given me a possible 2nd career path if I ever choose it, as I've become well-versed in the usage of a toilet auger with those.

Also, does anyone have any good dual-flush signs or possibly a .PDF version of the sticker on top of the tank? I'd like to remove the stickers, BUT want some way to notify my guests of the "proper" use in a tasteful manner. The dual-flush makes such sense to me. This past weekend, I used an old 6-gallon toilet from the 1940's... seemed like such a waste to use 6 gallons to flush down a minimal amount of urine.

Yea. The design is So good I consider it revolutionary. Design people love it.
Engineers love it. Big home run for Toto.
You are one the first people who really nailed it-why this puppy works so well.
They basically said "Hey..lets shape a graduated bowl in a funnel configuration....then blast 9/10 gpf at a high rate of speed focused at the hole/trap..."
Voila! Dual flush. Then wrap it up in a minimalist skirt design.

Your observations are very astute and appreciated. I really enjoy reading the engineers POV.

Live without stickers first and see how it goes. I was going to color code mine--but never needed to.

You've joined the rather embarrasing club of Aquia owners who will parrot out.."Hey before you leave Bob-- I want to show you My TOILET!!.."
Weird but true.

:D

Mike

SteveW
12-06-2006, 10:34 AM

As someone about to buy an Aquia, the concealed water supply actually kind of bothers me. How accessible is the shut-off valve - is it behind the skirt? That would seem to be a bad design.

TPA
12-06-2006, 11:09 AM
As someone about to buy an Aquia, the concealed water supply actually kind of bothers me. How accessible is the shut-off valve - is it behind the skirt? That would seem to be a bad design.

The shut-off is on the wall wherever you put it, so it is as easily accessible or as hidden as you (and your plumber) desire. The "concealed" part is that the supply line ends up entering the tank through the back of the bowl rather than directly to the bottom of the tank. If you look at the toilet, the tank's bottom is entirely covered by the bowl, so it has to work this way for the toilet to look the way it does. As far as I'm concerned, it's a non-issue, but maybe someone who's installed a couple of these can comment better. To be honest, that skirted design of this toilet is what caused me to buy these for my new place instead of the old trusty Drakes & Pacificas I have at my other residence.

See this image, graciously stolen from another thread:
http://www.terrylove.com/wc/toto/aquia_angle.jpg

TPA
12-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Yea. The design is So good I consider it revolutionary. Design people love it.
Engineers love it. Big home run for Toto.
You are one the first people who really nailed it-why this puppy works so well.
Your observations are very astute and appreciated. I really enjoy reading the engineers POV.

Live without stickers first and see how it goes. I was going to color code mine--but never needed to.

You've joined the rather embarrasing club of Aquia owners who will parrot out.."Hey before you leave Bob-- I want to show you My TOILET!!.."
Weird but true.

Thank you Mike. I figured this was the only time I'd ever consider getting my head near a toilet, and I wasn't exactly the type to "ride the porcelain train" in college, so I had little experience with my head in the bowl. :)

The stickers were pre-applied on my Aquias. While I understand Toto's reasons for doing this, I wish they had left them separate, or included a second set. I'm thinking of doing something along the lines of a chrome version of the water droplets & 1.6/0.9 gallons and having it in a small, neatly framed plaque immediately behind the top of the tank.

As far as being one of the club, I've been that for a long time... I've had Toto Pacifica toilets since 2001, so I've gotten plenty of comments from guests upon such unusual looking and quiet fixtures. Then again, I'm know to have unusual fittings in my homes. Imagine a stove which doesn't get hot to cook food, or light switches which aren't actually connected to the lights they control. These and many other odd things permeate my homes and my friends and guests seem to enjoy the peculiarities. I kept on threatening them that I was going to put a squat toilet in the guest bath. I've not let them off the hook yet, telling them that my Asian toilets arrived and I can't wait for the plumber to get them installed. The story was made even more credible by telling them they were from Thailand (one of my friends is a Thai national and had squatters at her house there). The next dinner party should be fun. :)

http://www.terrylove.com/images/abak/abak_pacifica.jpg
TOTO Pacifica CST808

Mike50
12-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Thank you Mike. I figured this was the only time I'd ever consider getting my head near a toilet, and I wasn't exactly the type to "ride the porcelain train" in college, so I had little experience with my head in the bowl. :)

The stickers were pre-applied on my Aquias. While I understand Toto's reasons for doing this, I wish they had left them separate, or included a second set. I'm thinking of doing something along the lines of a chrome version of the water droplets & 1.6/0.9 gallons and having it in a small, neatly framed plaque immediately behind the top of the tank.

As far as being one of the club, I've been that for a long time... I've had Toto Pacifica toilets since 2001, so I've gotten plenty of comments from guests upon such unusual looking and quiet fixtures. Then again, I'm know to have unusual fittings in my homes. Imagine a stove which doesn't get hot to cook food, or light switches which aren't actually connected to the lights they control. These and many other odd things permeate my homes and my friends and guests seem to enjoy the peculiarities. I kept on threatening them that I was going to put a squat toilet in the guest bath. I've not let them off the hook yet, telling them that my Asian toilets arrived and I can't wait for the plumber to get them installed. The story was made even more credible by telling them they were from Thailand (one of my friends is a Thai national and had squatters at her house there). The next dinner party should be fun. :)

Firstly, I like the idea of the framed sign you are going to do. This metal leaf media would work really well for your design concept BTW:
http://www.houstonart.com/metalleaf.asp
I work with it weekly.

Ahh. We have this in common--trying out new technologies. Im interested in hearing about those features you mention.

As for me: I heat my home with a wood burning pellet stove.
One bedroom has no floor covering at all. Gray Concrete slab-thats it.

My office/art desk is actually a brand new Kobalt rolling tool chest on casters which I had fitted with a glass top.
And I'm painting my kitchen with some Hollywood Special FX metallic paint soon. Etc.

I have great admiration for people willing to take chances with these things.
It's Not always easy and it doesn't always work.

And uh..oh yea... My ex-wife is a Thai National who I met at the local Embassy in Los Angeles. She is actually now my best friend.

Mike

rdiz
12-10-2006, 06:46 PM
I just finished a bathroom remodel and installed one of these toilets based on the recommendations and reviews posted here and other sites. The toilet has a nice design and looks good in the bathroom. However, I'm very dissatisfied with the flush of solid waste. There is good bowl wash action at the higher levels, but the bottom leaves skid marks every time. I need to flush four or five times to clean the bowl. What's the point if it doesn't clean the bowl?

I replaced this toilet with a seven year old Kohler Wellworth which cleaned the bowl 95% of the time and costs much less. I'm going to try and exchange the Aquia with a Drake. Hopefully, it will perform better in the bowl wash of solid waste.