PVC drain connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Oscar

Reaction score
I have a 20 year old home in southern Ontario, Canada. There is a 3 inch pvc drain pipe running vertically beside an exterior wall. There is a 1 inch gap which was covered with a two inch wide piece of very thin rubber and metal clamp. I believe this was done when the home was built. There was a slight pinch which gave way a couple of weeks ago, resulting in a leak and various flood damage to my basement.

When the leak at the flexible joint was found, I was somewhat shocked to see a flexible joint and not glued pvc. The plumber stated there are likely flexible joints throughout my home. Is this true? Is this for expansion/contraction purposes? This has been repaired with a 5 inch fernco thick rubber tube with two heavy clamps. Is this sufficient?

Thank you,
Oscar

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

I don't know why he would assume there are "several" rubber joints in the house, unless it has had numerous "poor" repairs done to the waste system. But in any case, the Fernco he used is not normally an approved item for use inside the building.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As HJ stated, Ferncos are not for use inside. There is a somewhat similar coupler called a "No Hub" that can be used inside. It has a stainless steel band around the entire fitting. I can't imagine that anyone would use Ferncos in quanity to do a drain system, they certainly cost more than a regular PVC coupler and while they are fairly simple, a regular coupler is easier. It would be worth a visual check, but I doubt that there are any.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks