flow test after new softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Lifespeed

Reaction score
Here is video of a recent copper re-pipe, tankless HWH and softener installation. I am getting 7.2 GPM cold, 6 GPM hot from a 1/2" shower valve. I'm glad I used the big Noritz with it's larger, less-restrictive heat exchanger.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
IIRC he was concerned with maintaining the flow rate through the softener and the tankless heater. He may have had some other equipment as well but I guess he is happy that with all the stuff he did, he is getting the flow he wants/needs

Lifespeed

Reaction score
test for echo

I was interested in verifying my design of the water and gas plumbing and equipment, particularly for flow rate and lack of water hammer when the valves are turned off. I did not use hammer arrestors except at the washing machine. I will repeat this right before a regen and test the treated water for hardness leakage at the 7+ GPM tub spout. This was the reason I went with the 1.5 cu ft softener and GAC tanks and the associated longer times between regen.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I wasn't impressed with the those gpm figures and unless you have a mixing/anti scald valve, they are way low IMO but...

You should have had another fixture or two running at the same time so you could see what effect that has on flow.

BTW, I didn't see a shower running, just a tub, did I miss it?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know this will stir controversy but most plumbing codes require that flow be at least equal to the rated SFR with all fixtures operating at once and one of the big drawbacks to tankless heaters is that none of them will supply sufficient flow if any more than a couple of fixtures are running at the same time

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks