View Full Version : 16" rough in; what to do?

04-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Currently tying up a complete barebones remodel of my bathroom in a 1939 home. This is all DIY and I am doing a lot of the learning along the way. I learned recently that the location of the toilet drain pipe was going to pose a huge problem for me since the rough in plumbing is 16" from the wall. I found this out after placing the 12" toilet that I had purchase in place over the flange to get a feel for what it was going to look like. The tank is approximately 4" off the wall.

My question is this; can a toto 14" unifit be modified by adding a 2" section of ABS to it to make it work for 16" rough in? Would the resultant unifit fit beneath the toto toilet's skirt? We are considering the Guinevere right now.

Plumbing is the cast iron stuff and there is room to move it (not against a floor joist) but I'd really rather not seeing how we just finished tiling the floor.


04-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Don't think the pipe in the unifit adapter is a standard size, so even if it would work by extending it yet another couple of inches, not sure you could find the stuff to do it.

If you have access, it might be time to bite the bullet and move it to 12", then, your choices expand considerably. Totos that use the unifit typically have about 3/4" behind them when the rough-in is proper...so, if you really have 16", you'd have 2-1/4" or so behind using their 14" adapter. Moving it would also let you install a new flange on top of the finished floor, where it should be.

04-02-2012, 03:10 PM
The space under the bowl would even take an 18" or longer Unifit if they made them. If you can make it longer, the space is there. I would buy the 14" though, it has the most space to work with.


03-03-2013, 04:29 PM
I also have an old bathroom with a 16" rough in. I'm going to try the 14" Unifit but which Toto with elongated bowl is best?

03-03-2013, 04:39 PM
I also have an old bathroom with a 16" rough in. I'm going to try the 14" Unifit but which Toto with elongated bowl is best?

The Vespin II is a good one. Or just pick one that looks right in your home. Anything with the TOTO Unifit is going to work well.

Gary Swart
03-03-2013, 10:03 PM
This may be the time to point out that the Unifit adapters only work on specific Toto models. While there is a nice selection, and any of them would it and work well, the choices are limited to those models. Having a 2 plus inch space between the tank and wall would not be unsightly. I'd second the idea of a Unifit adapter model for your situation.

05-07-2013, 08:16 AM
I"m wondering if wecamaspeople was successful in extending the unifit 2 inches.

I have a 15 1/2 inch rough in and was would love to extend the unifit if possible.

05-07-2013, 09:34 AM
I would move the drain or bump out the wall before I screwed around trying to make something work that wasn't intended to.

Frame up a wall and hang some sheetrock, and your extra 4" disappears.

05-07-2013, 01:59 PM
IF the pipe in the straight section is a standard size, then use of something like a RamBit to ream out the sockets and a longer piece of (what looks like ABS, but you'd have to see what cement actually works) pipe, and you may be able to make it longer. You'd have to measure the OD of the pipe to see if a standard, readily available pipe could be patched in. My guess is that the pipe there is round, but it might just be an oval...I'd check that, too.

05-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Any update from wecamuspeople on how the extension of the 14" Unifit worked? I've got a 15 1/2" rough-in and only 20” from the front of the toilet to the shower door, I don’t want to be any closer to the door with the new toilet, a little more clearance would help. Thinking of a Vespin ii with the 14" Unifit modified to 15 1/2".