Dishwasher Installation Separate From Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

kwhitt1017

Reaction score
I need to install a dishwasher in my kitchen. I can not intall it under the sink but would like to install it off to the side. There is a water supply and a drain pipe underneath the floor in the basement. Can I have a separate drain and water supply for the dishwasher?

Thanks For All Your Ideals!! :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dw

Dishwashers never install under a sink, at least not in the United States. They always install to the side. Connecting the water in the basement or to a separate line does not create any problems. Connecting the drain with its own trap, etc., can create problems and can require a great deal of creativity to do it correctly.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
GE makes an UNDER SINK dishwasher. It is full height in front, but bellies down to fit under a sink. Naturally it is smaller. Also a pain to install.

On the connections below the floor, you cannot connect the drain of a DW directly to a drain line. It must be an indirect connection above a trap, and into an air gap or similar device such as a vertical wye tailpiece to prevent direct connection of the waset line to the DW.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
If possible, you should install a dw in a cabinet base beside the sink (either side that's best for you).
ELECTRICAL: A dw should have a dedicated 120v electrical circuit with a standard receptacle beside or behind the dw preferably (15 amp breaker with 14/2-with-ground wiring will meet code, but if you're having to run it new, use a 20 amp breaker and 12/2wg wire in case anyone ever wanted to install a heavy-duty dw later.)
WATER SUPPLY: Hot water only, preferably with its own shut-off valve, off the hot water line under the sink, connected to the valve with a dw supply hose made for the purpose.
DRAIN: Most places require an above-counter air gap from the dw, then the other piece of drain hose from the air gap to a dw tailpiece (connected above the sink trap). It also can be connected to a disposal with dw pipe, but remember to remove the disposal knock-out plug before connecting the drain hose to it. If an air gap is not required by code in your locale, you can just loop the drain hose as high as you can over the dw. Most modern dw's won't allow drain water backflow now anyway.
CAUTION: If you ever plan to add a tile, wood or other raised floor in the kitchen after installation of a dw, it almost always will trap the dw under the cabinet base. You have to raise the cabinet base when installing the dw to compensate for raised flooring in front of it.
Good Luck!
Mike

kwhitt1017

Reaction score
Dishwasher Separate From the Sink

Thanks for all the input. I guess I should of been more clear. I have to put the DW approximately 6 feet away from the sink. It would be on another wall due to the cabinet arrangement. I just needed to know if it was possible to place the DW that far away from the sink and still be able to run a separate drain line and water line just to the DW. There is piping directly underneath in the basement. I will have to build a cabinet around it. Is this still feasible.

Thanks Everyone!!! :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When I remodeled my kitchen a couple of years ago, I made it into a U-shape with the DW about 6' of cabinet away from the sink. The sink was at one corner of the U and the DW the first slot across from it next to the corner cabinet up the other leg of the U. I had the drain line run from the factory hose with a connector under the cabinets then up and into the garbage disposer fitting. Ran the hose up to the under side of the cabinet to create the air gap by the DW. Has worked fine. That would be easier than adding a new drain. Doesn't really matter where you get the hot water, though. My unprofessional experience.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Getting the hot water to the DW should not be much problem. It can come from the basement, through the floor, and to the machine. You should use flex hose anyway, so you don't even have to be too precise in running the line. However, the drain is another matter. This may or may not be an option, but since cabinets are usually modular, could you relocate a cabinet that is next to the DW to the place you are thinking of putting the DW now? If not, I suggest you get professional help on site to properly design the drain. As others have noted, this can be done, but it also can be screwed up very easily. :(

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Jim never saw one of those under sink DW

and plane to keep it that way ! i can imagine the poor service plumber ther to change out a garb. disp ! i myself would return to my truck :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks