Bends in horizontal drain line

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Is there a convention/code/rule for the number of bends allowed in a horizontal waste line? I'm relocating a toilet to a location that will require a 90 degree bend (long sweep) into the 3" drain about 3 feet from the closet bend. I would prefer a 45 degree bend, but that would require demolishing a few square feet of finished ceramic tile floor. Either way, there's about another 60 feet of drain before the final (assumed) 90 degree bend to exit the house into the septic system.

Oliver

Reaction score
After 135 degrees of bends you need to install a clean out (UPCode)

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
How do they count the 135 degrees?

The closet bend is 90 degrees, then there's a 90 degree sweep to the left into the main drain line, which already has a cleanout in it. Does this mean the stuff is in violation 46 degrees into the sweep? Wouldn't seem so, since it's a similar configuration to a closet bend into a vertical stack -- 90 + 90 -- which is pretty common. It would almost seem that the closet bend shouldn't count at all. Is the complete UPCode available on-line somewhere? I've got a condensed field inspector's guide, but it's not terribly clear in many areas.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks