Best buy toilet for elderly & obese father

Users who are viewing this thread

Lela

Reaction score
I am looking for a toilet for my elderly father who weighs +300 lbs
Bowl Rim Height : 17+ in
Elongated bowl w/ split seat in front
I am on a limited budget and know very little about what to look for.
Are you able to help me?
Thank you very much,

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm selling a lot of the Toto Drake ADA toilets for that purpose.
You can also look at the Cadet 3, for that purpose.

Of the two, I like the Toto better.

You may also want to consider a one-piece ADA toilet.
Toto make the Ultramax II and the Ultramax ADA. Both tall bowls but with a molded on tank.

Lela

Reaction score
Thank you again. You are awesome!! That was a really fast response!
How about the best price I can expect to pay?
(sorry - I guess you sell them?)

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry sell several brands, but Toto toilets are his biggest sellers. Terry does not sell nor does he recommend on line purchase, but it should not be difficult to find a dealer. You can find American Standard toilets in many places, but especially in discount stores, you have to really inspect them carefully. American Standard seems to push there factory defects into the discount markets. I doubt if anyone will admit that, but the record speaks for itself. Toto is the world's largest manufacturer of toilets and produces a number of high quality models, any of which perform extremely well. The Toto Drake is not a high priced model, but loses nothing in performance with its lower price. Toto's do not clog except in rare cases such as foreign objects accidentally flushed or extremely large, hard stools. Most of us Drake users can truthfully say we never have to plunge our toilets. Regardless of brand, you want a toilet that is ADA height. All ADA toilets have elongated bowls, and any elongated seat will fit so getting a split front seat will be no problem. One big advantage of Toto toilets is the repair parts are off the shelf in most all hardware stores and plumbing shops at a modest price. I would advise if you get the Drake, you also get the CEFIONTECT options for ease of cleaning. Of course you can buy cheaper toilets in many stores, but usually these are what we term, "builder grade" which translates to "real cheap and low quality". Builders buy them because the are cheap and once the house is sold, the problems belong to the owner.

Last edited:

Lela

Reaction score
sorry but I have another question......does ADA mean the toilet sits high? my dad has a hard time standing up and needs a high seat if possible.
thank you for your time and information.....i'll try to leave you alone now.....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Essentially, yes. To meet ADA guidelines, things have to have certain characteristics, and on a toilet, the seat height is one of them. Any ADA rated toilet will be taller than a typical toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks