i really could use some advice, please

Users who are viewing this thread

falcmik

Reaction score
i moved into a SRO (single room occupancy) (room is huge!! for rent so low its almost scary anyway..) this room only had a tiny hand sink so small a mug would not fit under the faucet. i cant live with out being able to wash a dish or a glass etc.. and i just happened to see a base cabinet and counter top and sink on craigslist for free, i checked them out and they were in really good shape, all that was needed was a drain and a faucet. so i set about doing this, terrified and cautious. so hand sink had a green plastic drain tailpiece and copper p trap. i removed it and the water supply hoses. i read it would be best to replace everything so i got all new PVC and water supply hoses. and sink drain. i removed the sink and the cabinet it was in easily enough. i positioned my new counter so it start at the wall and centered the base under it. which left my new sink drain about a foot to the right and two inches forward of where the original sink drain was. i thought that i had read somewhere that it was okay to run PVC to the p trap . so i did and i was quite proud of my self for it. until i read that what i did was possible not ok and dangerous, and that is what i need advice on i have included a picture of what i have done and need to know if its okay or if i need to move the sink so it lines up with the wall drain so the p trap is straight down from sink drain.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 293

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'd be much better off if you moved the p-trap under the tailpiece. You can also eliminate some of the angles as well. With what you have, there's a lot of pipe that could have some crud buildup that won't get blocked from the p-trap. After a short time, with all that unprotected pipe (from the water in the P-trap), it will start to smell nasty.

falcmik

Reaction score
i moved into a SRO (single room occupancy) (room is huge!! for rent so low its almost scary anyway..) this room only had a tiny hand sink so small a mug would not fit under the faucet. i cant live with out being able to wash a dish or a glass etc.. and i just happened to see a base cabinet and counter top and sink on craigslist for free, i checked them out and they were in really good shape, all that was needed was a drain and a faucet. so i set about doing this, terrified and cautious. so hand sink had a green plastic drain tailpiece and copper p trap. i removed it and the water supply hoses. i read it would be best to replace everything so i got all new PVC and water supply hoses. and sink drain. i removed the sink and the cabinet it was in easily enough. i positioned my new counter so it start at the wall and centered the base under it. which left my new sink drain about a foot to the right and two inches forward of where the original sink drain was. i thought that i had read somewhere that it was okay to run PVC to the p trap . so i did and i was quite proud of my self for it. until i read that what i did was possible not ok and dangerous, and that is what i need advice on i have included a picture of what i have done and need to know if its okay or if i need to move the sink so it lines up with the wall drain so the p trap is straight down from sink drain. ( the copper colored paint is where the old cabinet had been)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 330
  • photohy.jpg
    photohy.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
You should be o.k. the way you have it, thats one fo the ways they hook up handicapped lavs.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have a lot of backwards fittings there those slip joint are only supposed to run
downstream not the water against the fitting and nut !

What we mean about running pvc is you start at the wall and make a extension from there
to line the p trap up directly under the sink drain instead of the way you have it !

falcmik

Reaction score
Thank you all for you advice! so would it be safer to move the sink so the p trap and and sink drain line up? or is it okay as is? or i see how i could very easily take out that weird turn near the p trap and make it a straight(well angled downward) from sink drain to p trap. my concern is gases getting past the p trap, as well as causing any kind of problems for others in the building (like back flow of waste water in to the clean, etc..). i guess i should of just said that from the start, sorry. thanks for bearing with me
mike

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

DO NOT move the sink. DO get rid of all those extraneous slip joints which create a "floppy" drain and can come apart if you bump them. Move the trap UNDER the sink drain, and then modify the "outlet" piping so you can connect the trap to the pipe in the wall.

falcmik

Reaction score
so i should shoot for something like this:( imagine the dink at the top and wall in the back).
THANK YOU for telling me i dont have to move the sink!! and for your help, everyone!!

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 251

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
As per your concerns, it prevents problems of the kind you described.
You have installed it fine.
Everyone has said so.
Any other remark is about fine tuning.

You could run a straighter pipe.
(instead of a 90 degree bend, use a 45 and turn the P trap to meet it)
((Or, try a straight pipe and also turn the P trap to meet it))

It is true you could install the P trap underneath the sink.
It is true you could leave the P trap where it is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks