How to tie copper to ABS DWV?

Users who are viewing this thread

BellevuePaul

Seasoned DIYer
Reaction score
So I have old revent and drain lines that I've cut off that were 1-1/4" copper DWV, which seems to be somewhat rare. I have to tie this to 1-1/2" ABS to build a new section for a moved sink.

Question is, what's the best way to do this?

I found some Fernco reducing couplings at the local Big Box, but I heard from the local plumbing plan reviewer that neoprene couplings must be the shielded type (presumably to protect from punctures). Fernco supposedly makes a shielded reducing neoprene coupler, but I can't find it at my local supply house.

My other idea is to sweat on a copper 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 reducer and a stub of 1-1/2 copper and then use a straight shielded coupler. But copper DWV is hard to find too.

Removing the 1-1/4 entirely is very difficult, because that would mean cutting out the tees from the stack completely, and then I have to build the stack in plastic, and then the 3" plastic fitting hubs wouldn't fit in a 2x4 wall, and... yuk, not fun.

What do people typically do in a situation like this???

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
What you need is a the Proflex coupling by Fernco part# 3001-1125 or Mission's shielded coupling part# CK-1125. This will take you from 1-1/2" ABS to 1-1/4" copper. If your local plumbing supply house doesn't have one in stock they can order one for you.

Good luck!

mission-cp150.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

If the drains are 1 1/4" like you say, then you are stuck. You cannot "increase" the drain size without creating major complications down the road.

BellevuePaul

Seasoned DIYer
Reaction score
So how can I un-stick myself?

Rio -- thanks, I eventually found two of those.

Trouble is, they don't really look very soil-friendly on the inside to go in the direction I would need them to run. There are rough transitions in there that look like they would create clogs. I think that's what hj is thinking of.

hj -- any ideas on unsticking myself? Know anywhere that sells 1-1/4" copper DWV and fittings? The one place around here that has copper DWV at all only goes down to 1-1/2.

Surely I'm not the very first person in the world with this problem...I assume this sizing was standard back in the 60's because the lav traps used to be 1-1/4" also.

-P

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks