8 - 1/2" rough in...fooey...

Users who are viewing this thread

dragger2k

Reaction score
removed an old toilet from our bathroom and remodeled the whoel thing...added tile to walls and now have under 9" from wall to center of drain flange...

strange though...tile subtracted less than 1/2" from the previous rough in dimension and the old toilet fit fine...

options???

thanks...

o)<

mike

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This could get ugly. You've already put the new floor down? Do you have access from below? A 10" rough-in toilet might get by with maybe 9.5", but not 8.5". You have a much larger selection of toilets if it was a standard 12". You might have to tear some things out and move the flange. Do you have any or can you get some more matching tile? My unprofessional opinion.

dragger2k

Reaction score
no access from below but plenty of additional tile...really wnat to make it work as is, though...previous toilet couled not have been more than 9-1/2" rough...

o)<

mike

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you're going to have to find access and change the plumbing to at least a 10" rough-in. To my knowledge, there are no toilets that will use less than a 10' and you're options increase with a 12" rough-in.

dragger2k

Reaction score
ok...for those who face this in the future...

turns out that not all 10" rough-in toilets have the same 'drain to wall' distance...some are shorter than others...you can get some of them in spaces smaller than 10" but the tank also becomes a limiting factor because it typically extends further back than the bowl...

at any rate, a kohler wellworth bowl with a 10" rough in worked perfectly for me...i used a serif tankand when the project was completed i had about 1/4" clearance between the tank back and the wall...

my rough in distance...wall to center of flange hole was 8-3/4"...one could get away with this set-up down to 8-1/2" but that's the extreme max...

bottom line...it worked...and rather nicely, actually...but pure luck...lesson learned...always check rough in dimensions before any floor or wall work is done on a remodel...

thanks you guys...

o)<

mike

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could you re-write that,,

"i used a serif tankand when the project was completed i had about 1/4" clearance between the tank back and the wall..."

I have a situation that calls for about 9 1/2"

Thanks !
Cal

dragger2k

Reaction score
for cal...

cal...not sure what is unclear...but if you have 9-1/2' between wall and center of flange (drain hole) the set-up described above will work for you without any problem...

kohler wellworth bowl, 10" rough in.
kohler serif tank.

that set-up will work for anyone with a rough in of 8-1/2 inches or greater...

i was just saying that after the whole thing was installed, there was still 1/4" gap between the rear of the tank and the wall...

good luck...

o)<

mike

RRW

Reaction score
Just for the heck of it, I will throw this in. (I am not a plumber or any other kind of expert) I have observed that one of the new overhead tank toilets could be used to fit any rough in whatsoever. The pipe from the tank comes down the wall and then has a 90 bend and goes to the bowl. A person could cut the pipe after the bend and fit it to any distance from the wall. I am sure this would be expensive as I think those new pull chain units are over $400 but It would do the job. Regards, RW

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Serif tank is the Kohler model that has the flushing rod/handle that comes out of the TOP of the tank.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
measurements

you probably have a 10 inch rough inn

are you measuring from your finished tile wall out to
the center of the toilet flange????? corrrect??

if this is the case, a 10 inch rough toilet will most likely
work out ok....

its cheaper to try it and see before getting all
bent out of shape...

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dragger2K,

You are a HERO !! Used your idea on a baaaaddddd 9" rough-in. Kohler 10" bowl, Serif tank,,,,,,,, WORKED OUT PERFECT !!! Thanks for the heads up.

Cal

heidi101af

Reaction score
Can anyone give me the model number for the Kohler Wellworth toilet referenced here?

The only 10" rough in I can find is the elongated bowl K4273 and the Kohler website does not specifically state that the Serif tank can be combined with it.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks