PDA

View Full Version : Colon Cancer update, the week at the U of W Hospital

Terry
02-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Some of you knew that I was going in for a rectal rescission in my lower colon.
I found out about the cancer last September. I Spent six weeks on Chemo and Radiation.
When I had gone back for the follow up of the colonoscopy, the two doctors had determined that that was 7.5 Centimeters between the tumor and the end outlet. (At least that's the term I'm happy with)
If there is too little distance, they give you a colostomy bag and sew things shut.
If you have 7.0 centimeters, you have more options.
I had been heavily warned, I should at least prepare myself mentally for the colostomy bag for at least six months, if not permanent.
Not the best news, but at least a 50% chance of living five more years; was better then a stick in the eye.
I work with my older son James, the youngest Taylor, is still in High School, and my daughter Amy lives not too far away with here and has daughters in elementary school. Three grand kids total.

I kept telling the doctor that surgery without a bag would be nice, Yuck!
But he's going to have to do what he can. I could try to give him more to work with.
I knew the Chemo and Radiation was going to be making things smaller, so I told him I would do my part, and the tumor would be smaller by the time he did the surgery.
Surgery was February 4th, 2010 Seattle WA

http://www.terrylove.com/images/cancer_terry_04.jpg

This is me checking in for the surgery that Thusday morning.

http://www.terrylove.com/images/cancer_terry_05_with_cathy.jpg

And one with Cathy.
Her job, wait in the waiting room, and let my family know what happens.
What can I say, work is busy and Jamie had my business line taking names and numbers at work.
There are some things we want to do with the business this year.
I've got al lot of ideas.

When my surgeon came in that morning, he was wearing his green gear and mask.
I had only seen him in a suit before.
Now that I had seen him in his "game" suit, I wasn't so worried.
He looked like a kid that was preparing to win the big game with some long passes.

Terry
02-14-2010, 02:35 PM
When I next lifted my eyes open, I was lying by myself, breathing easy, with people shuffling around.
After a bit, who am I kidding, I had no sense of time at this point, the last thing I remembered was from the morning.
I looked down at my right side, to see if I could see the bag.
It didn't look like anything was there.
I can't remember how I found out for sure, was it Cathy, a nurse or a doctor?
Someone finally told me, Oh yeah, no bag.

I turns out, that once I was cut open I was remeasured, and they had 10.0 centimeters to work with.
Things looked solid in there, so they took a section of intestine out and stapled - sewed it back up.

Surgery had taken a long time, there was a delay with other surgeries, at the hospital, and they were taking their time to fit things back together again, running tests on what there were working with.
I had woken up at 8:00 PM that night.
It was too late for the kids to come by, but they would be by the next day after work.

One not so funny thing, was that my daughter sent a text update, and I guess when you saw it on the phone screen, it read,

"Pop didn't make it"

And then when you opened up the rest of the message, it read, Pop didn't make it into surgery until 2:00 PM, Everything turned out fine. "

Terry
02-14-2010, 02:36 PM
http://www.terrylove.com/images/cancer_terry_10_gilbert.jpg
Dr Gilbert on one of her daily hospital checks with me.
Always lots to check on when you're there for seven days.

Terry
02-14-2010, 02:36 PM
Lisa, Jamie and Amy came by later Friday night to see me.
Jamie had swung by for some late plumbing.
The customer had no idea what she wanted anyway.
Can you say Brett Farve on shopping steroids?
It would have made much more sense for him to drop the phone, and come out sooner.
I was kind of beat when he got there.
http://www.terrylove.com/images/cancer_terry_07.jpg

krow
02-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Glad it worked out in your favour Terry,

All the best to you and get back on your feet as quickly as possible

Redwood
02-17-2010, 09:39 AM
Hey Terry,
Sounds like you had the kind of results we have all been praying for...
I'm glad it went so well for you!
Hope you bounce up soon.

Gary Slusser
02-17-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm hoping that the no bag news is the first of many pieces of good news.

Terry
02-19-2010, 05:20 PM
I got the Pathology Report back from the surgery.

pT3 on the Tumor that was removed.
pN0: No regional lymph node metastasis

The doctor stays that it's basically stage II, now that the Tumor is gone.
He expects something like 3-6 months chemo to start in a few weeks just to make sure it's clean.

So no bag was needed.
They got the tumor, and it should be good to go soon.
Now I just need to start walking more, I'm still thinking that April may be good for skiing here.

http://www.terrylove.com/images/terry/dr_row.jpg
The surgeon, Dr David Row

bpetey
02-19-2010, 05:45 PM
congrats on making it through the first part of your horrible ordeal. You look pretty young to go through this already. From what I've learned, early detection and removal has a very good success rate. Enjoy your new healthy lifestyle and you'll be around for many more yesars.

jimbo
02-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Terry,
We appreciate that you are sharing this ordeal with your internet pals. The photos tell us that this has not been a fun time for you! But the sound of your posts tell us that your spirit and attitude are still the same old Terry!

If it is not too personal, can you tell us a few things.......did you have risk factors like family history? How was it discovered? I put off having my first colonoscopy until age 63, and luckily was OK, but if I had something brewing at a younger age, that could have been a costly procrastination.

Looks like you have plenty of loving family support. Best wishes from all of us out here in cyberspace.

Peter Griffin
02-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Terry, glad to see you are looking well and better than that, in good spirits. I think keeping a positive attitude has an awful lot of effect on recovery.

BRD
02-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Terry,
I'm relatively new to your site and find it very informative and interesting. I always take a step back when I hear or read of such health concerns as yours. We're about the same age and it makes one think whats around the corner for me. Anyway, I wish you a speedy recovery and continued good health.

BRD

FloridaOrange
02-21-2010, 05:27 AM
Good to hear things are working out for the better. Stay with it.

Cookie
02-21-2010, 10:44 AM
A positive attitude and laughter is always the best medicine. :)

Terry
02-22-2010, 10:44 AM
If it is not too personal, can you tell us a few things.......did you have risk factors like family history? How was it discovered? I put off having my first colonoscopy until age 63, and luckily was OK, but if I had something brewing at a younger age, that could have been a costly procrastination.
Jimbo

Jimbo,
I found this explanation on the livestrong.com site
Colon Cancer Symptoms

One of the symptoms of colon cancer is a narrowing of the fecal stool, which is caused by a change in the shape and size of the colon and rectum, which can be due to a tumor. The Mayo Clinic also reports that you may see a change from your normal bowel movements. The change can be to diarrhea or constipation. An extreme change may not occur, but you may simply notice a change in the stool's consistency. Other commonly reported symptoms are rectal bleeding, or streaks of blood in the stool, abdominal pain and abdominal cramps that continually return, a lasting feeling of fullness or pressure in the bowel, tiredness and fatigue, and weight loss. Colon cancer symptoms often do not appear until the cancer has progressed and spread beyond the colon, and is affecting other organs, which is why you should be periodically screened for colon cancer, even when no symptoms are present.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/33013-colon-cancer-diagnosed/ (http://www.livestrong.com/article/33013-colon-cancer-diagnosed/)

So to answer some of your questions,
Family history, my father died of pancreatic cancer, and one of my uncles had either colon or pancreatic cancer.

What I personally noticed, was that my bowl habits had changed.
I was a creature of habit for 56 years.
I would have coffee in the morning, then have a bowl movement, and I was good until the next day.
It was that way for decades.

Then, at some point, like mentioned in the article above, I started getting diarrhea and bowl movements were taking place several times a day.
I was feeling bloated, and full.
That Fall, I started noticing blood in the stools.
At first, I thought it was red wine. No such luck. When things are working right, the red wine would be taken off as clear urine.
It was blood.
I did have less energy. I noticed that hiking. I was losing some of my "edge".

When I went for a full check up in December, the attending doctor said I was fine, but that my cholesterol was a bit high and blood pressure was high.
And I asked,

"So after 56 years I have the same eating habits, the same bowl habits, and one year it changes, and there is nothing wrong?"

I was scheduled to get a colonoscopy that Summer. I delayed that until September.
It was during the colonoscopy, that the doctor doing the procedure explained that I had been having symptoms of Cancer.
It wasn't red wine, it was blood,
It was fullness, I had a tumor that would require surgery and some polyps that they were able to remove that day.
If I go in for this at 50, then they snare a few polyps and ask me to come back in five years.

I did feel that there was something very wrong last year, I let my brother talk me into buying a new car.
It was my way of admitting to myself, that I may not have much time left.

I never told anyone why I was buying it though.

Now that the surgery is over, and the Cancer taken out, it looks like I will have plenty of time now. That's right, I'm 100% free of cancer.

Now it's just a matter of getting my sea legs back.
I picked a perfect time to go in, watching the Winter Olympics while I'm recovering.
The funny thing is, Bode Miller and Lindsey Vonn are winning on the same skis I use, the Head Chip Super Shapes.
Now I just need to get to feeling better.

One thing I changed last year, was my eating habits.
I've cut beef way down.
Maybe once a week.
I used to have beef pretty much every day.
Since I have cut most of the beef out, and eat more chicken, turkey and fish, my blood pressure is in a good range.
I also started taking a fish oil capsule purchased at Costco.

Colon cancer (http://www.seattlecca.org/diseases/rectal-cancer-facts.cfm), sometimes referred to as bowel cancer, is listed by the American Cancer Society as the third most frequently diagnosed cancer in women and men in the United States

Studies show, that if you reduce beef consumption to two times or less a week, you dramatically cut your chance of getting colon cancer.

Gary Swart
02-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Terry, I don't often get to this part of the forum, so I just learned of your situation this morning. I'm glad things appear to be positive for you. I know that you are in one of the best places for treatment of colon cancer which should give you an edge. Continue your recovery and get back on the slopes!

jay_wat
03-01-2010, 07:51 PM
hey Terry,,

im glad to hear that your doing better!

and btw,thanks for my sig,,good one since i am in the Valley!

your site here rocks!!

Trinda
03-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Hi Terry,
Your sister here, continuing prayers for your recovery.
By the way, Papa's cancer was from stomach cancer which the doctors didn't believe (after he had when he explained his father had died of stomach cancer). When they finally took a look inside they found stomach cancer which had spread to the lymph, and to the liver which lies next to the site the cancer started. I was in the room when Papa's surgeon came in and gave our folks the bad news. Papa's brothers also had intestinal cancers.

I hope everyone gets their checkups.
I love you, Terry.
Trinda

Terry
03-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks Trinda,
Thanks for the update on our brother Shannon too.
I just talked to my brother Shannon.
He broke his leg in two places last Sunday at Stevens Pass. He was skiing a bit too fast, and he had the rear entry boots, notorious I guess for breaking lower legs. Now he needs to schedule surgery for set the bones.
And our older brother Clare, in Hoquiam, just finished up with his rotator cuff surgery.
That's three out of five brothers working on cancer, rotator cuff surgery and broken leg.
Not a good year for the Love boys.

I'm still waiting for my pain levels to go down.
I haven't driven since February 4th.
They say I should be nearing the end soon.
I hope.
This thing has been kicking my ass.
And I start Chemo again soon.
Whoa!

The business is up and running well though, Jamie and the guys are keeping things running smooth.
We would love to hear from our customers during this time, we need to keep busy.
It's the best thing we can be doing right now.
And the Eastside, Bellevue, Sammamish, Issaquah, Redmond, and parts of Kirkland still have some nice toilet rebates (http://www.terrylove.com/toilet_rebate.htm)going on.
Terry

Terry
03-26-2010, 06:17 PM
I just got home from the hospital.
There was a complication from the first surgery.

When I went in for my Chemo appointment, he instead booked me into the hospital emergency room.
He could tell I was suffering badly from pain.
That was Tuesday the 16th
I just got home Friday the 26th.
It's the first time I've seen a computer in ten days.

Since there was a leak in the first surgery, they added a drain, and then two days later gave me a ileostomy bag (http://www.coloplast.com/OstomyCare/Topics/BeforeOperation/UsingTheBag/Pages/HowToUseIleostomy.aspx).
It was a rough week for me.

I haven't weighed myself for ten days,
I had lost 35 pounds in five weeks.

Just checked my weight 3/31/2010, down to 166 pounds, started at 204 for a loss of 38 pounds.
I'm hoping to start putting weight back on.
The picture of me in the blue shirt was taken at 204 pounds.

A question about toilets and ostomy bags from a reader (http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?35114-Ostomy-and-toilets&highlight=kohler+cimarron+review)

More information about ostomy bags (http://www.upmc.com/HealthAtoZ/patienteducation/Documents/Colostomy.pdf)

Basement_Lurker
03-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Wow Terry, I had no idea you were this sick. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery! And I hope you demanded sponge baths from the cute nurses!

Redwood
03-28-2010, 07:15 AM
Hi Terry,
I'm glad to see that you are back up and around again.
Jerry Mac told me that you were facing surgery again on the phone a few days back when you initially went in.
I do hope that you have a speedy recovery and your pain is gone...

Terry
04-16-2010, 10:28 PM
I went in for a CT Scan on the 15th.
It must have been OK, but the bag that drains the abscess is still filling some everyday.
So it looks like two more weeks of that drain, it's the one causing most of the pain now.
It's hard to find a comfortable position to sit in.
To put if bluntly, there is a hose that is piercing my right buttocks.
It's there to drain infection.
It's really the reason I'm on pain meds now.

During the night, I wake up every three hours, that's why I've been posting at such strange hours.
I wake up from pain, then take a couple of pain killers.
You should eat when you take them, so I have some food every three hours.
That part is fine. My appetite has returned, and at one point, I had dropped from 204 pounds down to 165 pounds.
Today, I weighed 173.9 pounds. I'm starting to put some meat on my skinny bones.
Keep in mind, the picture that is on this post with the blue shirt was taken when I was 204.

I picked up a laptop, and changed the wireless network to give it more coverage and speed so I can try to find positions where I can still keep working.
They say I'm doing too much, but oh well.
I'm keeping my son James working like a dog.
And I will be hiring more plumbers.
There is so much I want to do, and the last week I've had more zip in my step and I feel like I'm turning a corner.
I daydream about running faster when this is all over. I won't weigh as much, I know that.
So I should have more speed running bases and in the out field.
Jamie borrowed my green bat last night, hit two home runs, and a third hit hit the top of the fence and came back in.
I don't know if I will be putting them out, but I do envision some lazer line drives the following year.
That would be fun.
Not this year though. I have two incisions on my stomach. The last one has two spots where the stitches opened up, and I have to repack them with damp gauze twice a day.
It looks pretty bad right now. But at least it doesn't hurt there.
The hurt is on the other side.
James picked up some inventory today, so I'll be ready when people come by to buy toilets on Saturday.
I like to work from 10 to 1 on Saturday, just a nice way to end the week, catch up on paper work, and it's kind of fun being with my customers.
So maybe in two weeks, they take out the drain, and I will be able to sit like a normal person.
Slowly getting there.
I wont be running this Summer, but I should be able to walk and hike.
I feel the need to be up in the mountains soon.

SewerRatz
04-17-2010, 05:20 AM
Hi there Terry, all I can say is wow. I do not log onto the forum for a while, and I read this today. I am glad you are doing well, I will keep you in my prayers for a complete recovery.

Cookie
04-22-2010, 01:03 AM
Terry hang in there, things will get better. I applaud you for your courage in so many ways here, and for your openness in helping others by sharing your plight on this thread. You truly are remarkable.

donald33
04-30-2010, 06:07 AM
HI there everybody, and Terry I wish you all the luck there is. Just keep it in there. I wanted to ask a question. My wife has experienced some anal bleeding few days ago, and she just told me that she has it again. Could this be connected with cancer?

Terry
04-30-2010, 07:47 AM
That is one of the signs. Having blood in the stool.

Call her doctor today and schedule her in to be checked. It's important.

It's very common when someone reaches the age of 50.
One third of all cancer deaths, are from Rectal Cancer.

The sooner you find out the better. This is a progressive thing, and catching a problem as early as you can is important.
It makes a huge difference in the time it takes to repair it.

Colon Cancer Symptoms

One of the symptoms of colon cancer is a narrowing of the fecal stool, which is caused by a change in the shape and size of the colon and rectum, which can be due to a tumor. The Mayo Clinic also reports that you may see a change from your normal bowel movements. The change can be to diarrhea or constipation. An extreme change may not occur, but you may simply notice a change in the stool's consistency. Other commonly reported symptoms are rectal bleeding, or streaks of blood in the stool, abdominal pain and abdominal cramps that continually return, a lasting feeling of fullness or pressure in the bowel, tiredness and fatigue, and weight loss. Colon cancer symptoms often do not appear until the cancer has progressed and spread beyond the colon, and is affecting other organs, which is why you should be periodically screened for colon cancer, even when no symptoms are present.

Could this be connected with cancer?

My last blood test looked real good. No cancer signs in the blood, oxygen is improved, as well as the red blood cell count.
They took out the cancer, and in a bit I will be doing some more chemo to make sure there is absolutely nothing left that could grow back.

With Cancer, they talk about five year survival rates.
I had an Uncle that went through something like this, and he lived to be pretty darn old.
He went decades after his surgery.

Ian Gills
04-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Yep, my mother-in-law survived it to lead an almost ordinary life. And my grandmother survived something much worse in her late 50s (stomach cancer) and, at 80, now has dimentia. My grandmother was very overweight when she got cancer, weight she never regained after the illness. I sometimes wonder whether the disease actually improved her long-term prospects. Ironically perhaps, I doubt she would be alive now given how big she was. And being big, certainly helped her survive the dramatic weight loss.

wallygater
04-30-2010, 07:07 PM
I just wanted to say that I hope you get well soon. Your Internet pal, Wally

donald33
05-03-2010, 06:20 AM
Hi Terry and thank you for the advice. We have booked an appointment for tomorrow and hopefully we will have some news, I hope good news.
It is nice to hear that you are doing good.

I'll post an update as soon as I can.

Terry
05-07-2010, 07:43 AM
It's been quite a while since my second hospital stay, the last one being ten days, and I was still limping while walking. At first I thought it was the drain in my right side and the pain from it. So I tried real hard to make the limp go away and force it. Couldn't stop the limp.
I then remembered that the last stay, I had been wheeled down to X-Ray, and the guy pushing me missed the opening to the X-Ray room and rammed my right foot against the door frame. It kind of hurt at the time, but I was all hopped up on pain meds.
I went to my foot and arm chiropractor this week, and he checked out the ankle. He had to reposition the hinging of the bones structure. He was jerking it around pretty good to make up the the door slam I had gotten.
Works much better now. I now longer feel like I have one square wheel.
The left foot would roll forward, and the right I had to slightly hop it to move forward.
Now they both let me roll.

http://www.bothellfamilychiropractic.com/images/index_20.gif (http://www.bothellfamilychiropractic.com/)
David on the right is the guy that was able to fix this.

http://www.bothellfamilychiropractic.com/

Terry
05-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Last weekend was interesting.
It was a weekend that was kind of quiet, so I was thinking of a few people that I know, or that had crossed my path lately.
Two of them, were some customers, the husband had gone through Cancer treatment and is now doing fine. I was remembering his concern and his encouragement, and that he had followed up with email to see how I was doing.
Imagine my surprise when a big package was delivered to my front door step from them. Matt and Tara Sroka. Thanks, I can use the book for sure. The Lance Armstrong (http://www.livestrong.com/)Guidebook and Planner.

http://www.terrylove.com/images/terry/livestrong_books.jpg

I almost called my friend Bruce on Sunday, you've seen some of the hikes I've done with him. Monday morning he called and arranged to come over this Saturday to do some electrical wiring for me. Cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SAOEi-Yk38

Then there were five others that I thought about, and they all emailed or called me on Monday.
One of them took me to lunch this week.
It was a good pick me up to start the week. Sometimes you forget how connected we all are.

I'm becoming more aware of those others around me, that are dealing with health issues.
There are a lot of quiet brave people out there doing the best they can with what life is handing them.
Many of them are pushing through it and coming out on the other side. Some are not doing as well, and I feel for them. At some point, we all succumb to that, but hope to put it off as long as we can. It makes me appreciate the moments and friendships I've had though the years. My son-inlaw will be dropping two of my grandkids off for babysitting on Saturday. The cycle goes on.
Last weekend the two girls were heading down I-5 through Tacoma and were going by the Tacoma Dome. The day after my last Chemo treatment last Fall, I had taken the grandkids and Taylor to a High School Football playoff game with Bellevue High. It was the first high school game for the grandkids. It was a fun time, the game, the bands playing, the kids closer to their ages, cheerleaders and students in the stands. Lots for little girls and boys to watch.
As they were driving by they shouted "Tacoma Dome!"
My daughter asked what they remembered about it, and they said their grandpa had taken them there.
It's nice to be a part of peoples lives that way, remembering experiences that stay with them. I'll have to take them up hiking more this Summer.

http://www.terrylove.com/images/terry/terry_may_2010.jpg
May 2010 out and around for lunch and book shopping.
Up ten pounds from the low point, still down 30 pounds from where I started.
Maybe I will try for ten more pounds and call it good.

Wally Hays
05-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Good to hear that you are feeling better. Getting stronger every day. It's sad to say, but sometimes it takes things like that to give you a whole different perspective on what life is really all about. Friends, and family. I worked my ass off for 30 plus years and admittedly, neglected a lot of relationships all for the quest for money and things I later found out I didn't need. So at 55 I get more enjoyment out of an afternoon with my grand daughter than I ever did from all the stupid toys I thought I had to work 80 hrs a week for.

novicepiper
05-08-2010, 06:43 AM
Hi Terry - really really sorry for my post asking for more help - did not know of your health woes - read through your thread and am very happy to hear you are doing GREAT re not having a Col'bag and your improving - feel a tad like a voyeur not knowing you and all but please accept my best wishes...I grew up around Cancer, mum, dad aunty and uncle have all had cancer and my dad had to have the bag unfortunately - .... well again, best wishes and good to hear your all clear - you rock man! you really do.

Thanks,
On the third surgery to fix the first surgery they did give me a tempory bag. I hope to have that removed sometime in the Summer
Terry Love

Hey Terry - Here's a link for you :) if the admin don't delete it!

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?36194-was-nt-sure-where-to-put-this-one-architectural-plumbing-or-archbing&p=257508#post257508

novicepiper

Terry
05-09-2010, 09:27 AM
The sports page today in Seattle has a story about a 33 year old with rectal colon cancer.
The story here (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/jerrybrewer/2011818609_brewer09.html)
That's a lot younger then when they normaly start screening for this.
I saw a televison ad the other day for a clinic that said colon cancer was the second most common cancer.
I think Fast food hamburgers are taking their toll.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2010/05/08/2011818434.jpg
JEFFREY T. BECHTHOLD / UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON

Terry
09-10-2010, 12:12 PM
The latest update based on CAT scans is that I will finally be scheduled to reconnect the intestines, is that right? I've had a bypass since March, which makes playing sports a bit interesting. I've been waiting months for some things to close and up heal at the "lower end" of things. The original connection was a bit sloppy.

http://www.terrylove.com/images/terry/terry_cat_907_1.jpg
pic one
http://www.terrylove.com/images/terry/terry_cat_907_2.jpg

pic two, the little white specks are blood vessels. You are looking at the lungs.

http://www.terrylove.com/images/terry/terry_cat_907_3.jpg

pic three, looking at the kidney here, which is in good shape.

Blood pressure was 122 over 70, and just so you know Cookie, they take my blood pressure everytime I go for any appointment.
I think cutting back beef a bit and taking fish oil capsules has helped.

I'm hoping for surgery in October which should give me some time to recover in time for ski season.

Redwood
09-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Nice to hear Terry!

I hope everything goes well on that Drain/Waste/Vent connection and tell them use a banded coupling so nothing can slip out of alignment and cause problems.

I look forward to hearing a lot about you using those new boards you got a while back that haven't seen much use.

Cookie
09-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Ah, Terry you just made my day with your great news! I am happy for you. Relieved, too... When you going in Terry? ... and, yes, I am glad to hear they take your blood pressure every time. I make sure I talk to people all the time about BP's, because I simply want to honor the memory of my husband who is simply irreplaceable.

Ps. Post more pics of you in the hosp in that gown again, :)
I won't tell the girlfriend, lol.

Terry
10-24-2010, 04:50 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/2013229491_apeumedaspirincoloncancer.html

Nice little article about aspirin and colon cancer.
It also mentions that 1 in 20, or 5% of the population in developed countries will develop the disease at some time in their life.
That makes sense, it seems everyone I know has a story about a close relative going through this.

If you know someone with colon cancer, do them a favor and get them a Toto Drake II CST454CEFG and a bidet seat.
They will thank you for that. It makes a big difference in this whole ordeal.

Colorectal cancer is the second most common cancer in developed countries, and there are about 1 million new cases and 600,000 deaths worldwide every year. The average person has about a 5 percent chance of developing the disease in their lifetime.

The latest news on my situation, is that they are considering redoing the original surgery. That would put me back to square one as far as a recovery would go. I was hoping with the good snow year that's expected, and the ski pass that carried over from last year, that I was going to be able to wear out those skis this year. I don't want to redo the surgery, and one doctor at SCCA is discouraging me from it too. He says scar tissue is scar tissue, cutting out the previous connection and redoing it was not his recommendation.

Cookie
10-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Yes, Terry, scar tissue is scar tissue. I agree with that man. Unless, that scar tissue is obstructing something, or causing pain, I might leave it be. But, I know nothing about colon cancer, I wish I did. I will have to learn. Get opinions and opinions, then teach me. I want to see you out on the slopes wearing out your skis, too.

I was amazed at the article about aspirin and colon cancer. Amazing. I tell my sons, to take a baby each day, the doctor confirmed it. Never found the colon in our family but, it might be an added benefit for taking it. That is great.

Anything, anyone, can suggest to someone which would help them going through this stuff, is such a blessing. It is really nice of you to mention it to others Terry. I need a new toilet, and I want the one you mentioned, the Toto Drake II CST454CEFG and the bidet. I hope others heed your advice.

I am on steriods again, WATCH OUT, lol. Drugs plays real havoc with your body.

Cookie
10-24-2010, 07:23 PM
One thing I do know about scar tissue too Terry is as in my case and which might apply to yours or others here, with the same problem, is that scar tissue is also, as I was told, dead disease. As in my case, with nodes, they are nodes which was taken out by the chemos. And, I was told, nothing to worry about because they will be there, probably forever. So, my show up on Cats, but never change in size. I was told they are scar tissue. Just wanted to add that note, in hopes it might help anyone.

Thatguy
10-25-2010, 08:43 AM
And surgery can cause adhesions which may make trouble later on.
Nothing is simple any more. Maybe it never was.

Terry
06-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Here is my June 2011 update.

Since the first surgery wasn't done right, the University of Washington Hospital has decided to redo the surgery. Of course I have to pay for the second, third and forth surgery, as they say,

"These things happen".

It's not like doing a plumbing job, messing it up, and then turning it into my insurance and fixing my screw-up.
No. Not so simple. It's a good thing that "my" insurance covers most of it.
I can't imagine though, messing up a customers home, and then telling them that there is a co-pay.

"my mistake. Oops!"

Don't you love it.
So anyway, this Fall I go in for Surgery number three, and if all goes well, Surgery number four to put me back almost, but then wait.........there's more. I asked about a little bump in my stomach that nobody had mentioned to me, and yes, the doctor knew right away what it was.

"That's a little perforation with a stint. That can be fixed after we are done with the rest."

So that is why they were asking me with worried faces about that part of my body?
They knew there was a problem, but weren't going to mention it?

So anyway, since they fried me with so much radiation, they've been waiting for about a year for that to heal before they can redo their mistake. Happy thing for me, I don't have to pay for everything; just the copay. It does kind of suck missing work and having to take pain meds for a while. I hate pain medication. I'm so glad when I don't need it. At least in the last year, I've taken only a few pills, but just for skiing or softball. Otherwise I can go months right now without pain meds. I really don't like em anyway.

There was a period of time in the Winter of 2010 though, when 8:30 at night meant I would be crying from the pain. That sucked, and the doctors kept telling me I shouldn't be in that much. But then they found that the stitching had failed and I had an infection. That was the second surgery. Thank God I was at SCCA and the doctor there could see I was fading in and out of coherence and sent me to the emergency room. There they added the ileostomy since the lower colon was useless at that point, and pierced my right buttocks with a rubber tube that collected puss from the interior that had been filling up with the infection. Needless to say, when you have a tube piercing your skin, right where you would like to sit, it hurts. It hurts a lot.

But then I noticed that the bag collecting the puss started to smell, permeating the bag and making my home smell. When I asked the doctors about the smell, they argued that plastic is impervious to smell. Funny. It made my entire home smell, and when people came over, they would start opening windows and doors in the dead of Winter and start airing out the home with frigid outside air.
After a month of that nonsense, I begged the doctors for a new bag. They said I could use the old bag, plastic bags are expensive you know and don't bother them. But I bothered them until I got the new bag. They sent me downstairs for the bag, and the guy there told me the same thing. Bags don't smell. So I told him, that he could keep my old bag and hang it on his kitchen wall for decoration. By the way, smell this ridiculous thing.

"Oh wow! Yeah, that smells."

Okay, give me an extra bag then, and when this one starts to drive people out of my home, I can change the bag myself. I'm a plumber and I should be able to unthread the connection and rethread the new one. It's not like I'm a doctor, I can do these things.

So anyway, If I treated my customers that way that I get treated, I wouldn't have any.
It will be nice though if the next three surgeries turn out okay.
I think my new doctor is supposed to be the best.
It's a Russian technique and I think he's Russian. I have a good feeling this time about it.

Dunbar Plumbing
06-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Good luck with your upcoming surgeries Terry. Hope all goes well in the recovery. I would definitely say that plastic bags leach smells all the time. Garbage bags, even the thickest ones.

Going without pain meds is a good thing. They cause just as many problems as they do comfort. It's just a cover, nothing else.

I've been meaning to call someday soon and shoot the bull.

Terry
06-23-2011, 12:04 AM
I would like that. I have a cooling fan that you sent me, and everytime I see it, I think of you.
I'm so glad that you survived your mishap with medication.

ballvalve
06-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Jimbo,
I found this explanation on the livestrong.com site
Colon Cancer Symptoms

So to answer some of your questions,
Family history, my father died of pancreatic cancer, and one of my uncles had either colon or pancreatic cancer.

What I personally noticed, was that my bowl habits had changed.
I was a creature of habit for 56 years.
I would have coffee in the morning, then have a bowl movement, and I was good until the next day.
It was that way for decades.

Then, at some point, like mentioned in the article above, I started getting diarrhea and bowl movements were taking place several times a day.
I was feeling bloated, and full.
That Fall, I started noticing blood in the stools.
At first, I thought it was red wine. No such luck. When things are working right, the red wine would be taken off as clear urine.
It was blood.
I did have less energy. I noticed that hiking. I was losing some of my "edge".

When I went for a full check up in December, the attending doctor said I was fine, but that my cholesterol was a bit high and blood pressure was high.
And I asked,

"So after 56 years I have the same eating habits, the same bowl habits, and one year it changes, and there is nothing wrong?"

I was scheduled to get a colonoscopy that Summer. I delayed that until September.
It was during the colonoscopy, that the doctor doing the procedure explained that I had been having symptoms of Cancer.
It wasn't red wine, it was blood,
It was fullness, I had a tumor that would require surgery and some polyps that they were able to remove that day.
If I go in for this at 50, then they snare a few polyps and ask me to come back in five years.

I did feel that there was something very wrong last year, I let my brother talk me into buying a new car.
It was my way of admitting to myself, that I may not have much time left.

I never told anyone why I was buying it though.

Now that the surgery is over, and the Cancer taken out, it looks like I will have plenty of time now. That's right, I'm 100% free of cancer.

Now it's just a matter of getting my sea legs back.
I picked a perfect time to go in, watching the Winter Olympics while I'm recovering.
The funny thing is, Bode Miller and Lindsey Vonn are winning on the same skis I use, the Head Chip Super Shapes.
Now I just need to get to feeling better.

One thing I changed last year, was my eating habits.
I've cut beef way down.
Maybe once a week.
I used to have beef pretty much every day.
Since I have cut most of the beef out, and eat more chicken, turkey and fish, my blood pressure is in a good range.
I also started taking a fish oil capsule purchased at Costco.

Studies show, that if you reduce beef consumption to two times or less a week, you dramatically cut your chance of getting colon cancer.

Terry, have a look at a very important website that tests supplements like consumer reports, [but BETTER] without compensation.

The fish oil is great, but there are many that are garbage. Sort of like toilets. Also, SYlymarin, or milk thistle extract has many studies as a fantastic cancer prevention and even repairing drug. Also take a look at Borage and other GLA oils.

http://www.smart-publications.com/articles/print/silymarin-a-potent-antioxidant-liver-protector-and-anti-cancer-agent

http://www.consumerlab.com/index.asp

http://www.smart-publications.com/articles/view/silymarin-a-potent-antioxidant-liver-protector-and-anti-cancer-agent/