Rear Outlet Toilets-One More Time

Users who are viewing this thread

ChipTam

Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first post and was hoping someone on the forum could help me. Here's the background to my question. My wife and I own a summer/retirement home in Newfoundland. I've done most of the renovations of this 1880-era salt box myself but have left the plumbing to local professionals.

All of the traditional homes there have open joist bays on the ceilings. That is, the board ceilings are also the upstairs floors. So, since we don't want to see the plumbing coming through the living room ceiling, the rough plumbing for the second floor bath goes down a wall cavity. The plan for the second floor half bath was to use a floor-mounted, rear-outlet, gravity toilet.

Last July, my local plumber in Canada ordered a Crane rear discharge toilet but, as of November when I left Newfoundland, it had not arrived even though he had no problem getting them earlier in the year. Does Crane still make a rear-outlet toilet? I could not find a current seller by doing an internet search. Are there other options? One other resident has an American Standard floor-mounted, rear-outlet toilet although it's power assisted. What other choices do I have? If necessary, I could purchase the toilet myself in the States and throw it in the back of my pick-up truck when I return to Canada. Thanks for any input you could provide.
ChipTam

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Crane, Eljer, have merged with American Standard. American Standard is infamous for quality problems, so I would expect no better from Crane or Eljer. As far as pressure assisted toilets are concerned, pressure assist were/are nothing more than a poor attempt to make poorly designed toilets function. They are noisy, subject to breaking down, and are generally a poor choice. If this was my home, I'd try very hard to figure an acceptable way to use a conventional toilet and install a Toto Drake.

ChipTam

Reaction score
Gary,
Thank you very much for the feedback on my question. I didn't realize that American Standard had acquired Crane. Did this happen recently in the last year or so? If it's recent, suppliers may still have a few in stock. I'm afraid, at this point, I'm pretty well committed to a rear outlet, floor-mounted toilet. All the rough plumbing is in and walls and ceilings are finished. Plus, as mentioned in my first post, I don't want to see the pipes coming down through the living room ceiling. Does Toto make a rear outlet toilet? Are there any other manufacturers I might want to consider? Thanks again.
ChipTam

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nope, Toto does not make a rear outlet. Not really sure why, but my layman guess is there is not enough demand...you know, the old supply/demand principal. I think there are companies that make them, but I have no information as to who. My original suggestion remains the same, find a way to use a standard toilet. Maybe consult a architect? Sorry I can't offer much help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks