Good dishwasher?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jcvb

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my old white dishwasher with a stainless steel one. I'm looking for one that is quiet, energy star, that doesn't take 2 hrs to wash and that it's a water saving dishwasher. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The ones that minimize water usage have a sensor that looks at the water as it is pumped to the spray nozzles to determine how dirty it is...they use this to decide when the dishes are clean. dirty dishes, more water...scraped or rinsed dishes, a lot less.

As to particular models, I haven't looked at them in a long time - mine still works.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
For you own home it is worth spending up for quiet! I just bought a new SS Whilpool and we like it a lot.

Somehow, one of the ways they get the quiet and the energy efficiency has to do with length of cycle. My unit requires FOUR HOURS for a full cycle wash. That just is the way it is , but it is so quiet, we don't know it is on.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a new Bosch that is super quiet. Wash cycle is almost 2 hours, but it does a fantastic job.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I usually run mine on a delay timer...it runs in the middle of the night.

Jcvb

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I wonder if having a 2hr cycle is actually saving water? Sometimes I just want to hand wash them instead.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Sometimes, dried on stuff just needs longer cycles, not necessarily more water. the length of the cycle is not necessarily related to how much water it uses.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have not "analyzed" what is going on in my new Whirlpool, but casual observvation is that it may run the wash cycle in short burst, with some "soak" time in between. That may allow them to use less total water, possilby a smaller pump motor. etc. Anyway, it works well which it should for $650!

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I wonder if having a 2hr cycle is actually saving water? Sometimes I just want to hand wash them instead.

I don't know if it is the cycle length or not saving water, but I have measured water usage on my '08 Whirlpool "Quiet Partner I." I measured it once as 5 gallons/load and another time as 7 gallons for the load. That's a lot better than what we can do by hand.

My impression of the machine is that it is anything but quiet and we try not to run it after bed time because it is so loud. But keep in mind this is an open kitchen, hardwood floors, overall open floor pan so we hear even the faintest sounds from the kitchen/dining level in the the master bedroom.

It's been a good dish cleaner though. Virtually nothing is taking a second trip through. And it is easy to load fully and with good orientation for cleaning. A short run is about 1.5 hours (we use the 150 F sanirinse cycle.) A long run might take 2.5 hours.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't attest to the installation of DWs other than the Bosch, but it was really a very straight forward operation. It was a basic remove and replace job with no alterations needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks