How Difficult to Replace Basic Handwheel?

Users who are viewing this thread

hookahnutz

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a very easy question for someone with plumbing knowledge.

I have a home that was ding'd by the home inspector for having a broken handwheel on the cold water shutoff valve to the water heater. Its your basic gate valve, but the handwheel is cracked in half with the missing half long gone. I want to know can I just unbolt the handwheel and bolt on a replacement or does this necessitate replacing the entire valve assembly? Thanks for any quick responses, as I'm heading two hours out of town to do this 8 hours from now! It looks like this:

611918017761.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That nut is all that hold the wheel on. You will have to find a wheel that will fit, but removing and replacing is child's play.:D

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Finding one that fits will be the hardest part of the job.
There are an abundance of different wheels out there...
They all look the same until you try them.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Finding one that fits will be the hardest part of the job..

When I was a kid (17) fixing something at my mom's a valve like that broke after I shut it off and tried to turn the water back on. Had to kill the pump and gut the valve then turn the water back on to get water back to the house. That valve finally got replaced last year....17+ years later.

TedL

Reaction score
The posted pic looks like one you picked up at Lowes (American Valve). Count on hunting around at the destination to find one that matches the existing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
handle

If the stem has a square end on it, a replacement handle may be relatively easy to find. If it has splines, you will probably have to find a handle from a valve exactly like yours to make it fit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks