question on leaking tub drain, can I get this part?

Users who are viewing this thread

harveymasons

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 2nd floor tub that is leaking. the reason is this: on the tub there is a metal washer piece that sits on the tub against the drain it is slightly domed/dished (this is on the tub itself not underneath. It has come loose and actually broke and now there is about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch a gap between the tub and drain. Can I get a replacement piece? I am not even sure what this piece is called but it closes the gap between the cast iron tub andn the drain so now when the tub drains some water is getting into that gap and leaking down below. Home depot did not have.

Can you guys suggest anyplace or another solution? Also, what would I use to glue/seal it to the tub? Something that is obviously waterproof but is silocone good enough?

thx in advance,

harvey

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

There are replacement drain "plugs". Unfortunately, they have many different thread patterns. Fortunately, however, there are two common ones, a narrow fine thread one and a larger 1 1/2" coarse thread model. If yours broke off it is probably the fine thread one, so hopefully the available one will fit your tub. THey usually come with a lift and turn, or push/pull stopper and a smooth cover for the overflow opening.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks