Close corner solder

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
I have a few very tight space solder jobs to do. I have to protect 2 things:
1- drwyall
2-an electrical wire.
What are some good materials to use to do this. I have done the foil thing in the past but that last like 5 seonds before you are through it.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I have a few very tight space solder jobs to do. I have to protect 2 things:
1- drwyall
2-an electrical wire.
What are some good materials to use to do this. I have done the foil thing in the past but that last like 5 seonds before you are through it.

The foil with cool gel.

cool-gel.jpg

Attachments

• cool_gel.jpg
    cool_gel.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 293
Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Cool Gel is good stuff!
I bought it or a similar product the first time about 6 or 7 years ago and have been using it ever since.
At one of the Manufacturer Demo Days at the local supply house a rep was showing it off and I was invited to hold a torch to a coated C-Note...
It did not burn and everybody that saw that bought some. A very impressive demonstration if you ask me...

Another good product is a flame protector cloth. These are non-asbestos usually ceramic fiber cloth... Thanks NASA!

31400B.jpg

In this day and age there is no excuse for BBQ'ing a house...:eek:

plumbingskool

Tradesman
Reaction score
Here is a picture of me doing a "close" one for a neighbor :D

Well not that close but awkward at the least :)

sweating-the-copper-coupling.jpg

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I'd go for the cool gel. I picked a couple bottled up at the HD a few years ago. When I went back for more they were no where to be found. The great employees there ofcourse had no clue what I was talking about when I asked for it!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joint

I use the silicone burn blanket. As for the picture of the joint being made, propane?, and is that a pencil flame tip? If so, is that Fred Flintstone doing the soldering?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Cool Gel is good stuff!
I bought it or a similar product the first time about 6 or 7 years ago and have been using it ever since.
At one of the Manufacturer Demo Days at the local supply house a rep was showing it off and I was invited to hold a torch to a coated C-Note...
It did not burn and everybody that saw that bought some. A very impressive demonstration if you ask me...

Another good product is a flame protector cloth. These are non-asbestos usually ceramic fiber cloth... Thanks NASA!

In this day and age there is no excuse for BBQ'ing a house...:eek:

I done got a bunch o dem. they works good yes indeed. About 15 bucks at the orange store.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks