Settling Basin

Users who are viewing this thread

tjerry

Reaction score
In my house built around 1950 there is a catch basin where only the laundry and kitchen sink drain to. The other fixtures drain directly to the sewer without going thru any basin. It is my understanding that this catch basin purpose was to settle some of the phosphates present in detergents, back when the phosphate content in detergents was high, before going to the sewer system. Does anyone know or is able to verify this? Also, what maintenance is required for such basin? Should they be removed or cleaned? There is some solid material in it but it appears to be working fine as far as flow goes. Is there an indication on how to identify potential problems with the basin?

Thanks for your help,
TJerry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks