help with vibrating water pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

heathv

Reaction score
Water pipes started vibrating a couple months ago. At first, they would only vibrate once or twice a day for 10-15 seconds. Sounds like a humming sound that sometimes varies in intensity. Over time the vibrating has increased to where now they are vibrating once every 10 minutes or so - and the vibrating can last anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 or 3 minutes. I've gone down in the basement and can feel the water pipes vibrating, but they all seem to be secured pretty tight to the floor joices. The vibration doesn't seem to be related to water valves being turned on or off, b/c it happens intermittently throughout the day even when no water is being run. Any ideas what might be causing this and how I might fix it? I read somewhere about air in water pipes possibly causing this kind of problem, does that sound right? Thanks in advance for any help.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Check all toilets for water flowing over the top of the overflow tube. If you find any, adjust the fill valve parts to keep the water level about 1" below the top; usually there is a water line marked there.

If you don't find any overflowing, then check all toilet bowls for water leaking past the flapper valve in the tank into the bowl. You can use a few drops of food coloring etc. in the tank and then over an hour or so see if any color gets into the bow waterl. If so then replace the flapper valve.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a bad pressure reducing valve on your main line. Check to see if you have one (should be just above your main cut off)

Suggestion,,,Change the Pressure Reducing Valve and your main cut off (use ball valve type of cut off) at the same time.

Gary is right also in that the water has to be going somewhere . Got to be the toilets slowly leaking by the flappers .

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks