Dishwasher leak

Users who are viewing this thread

kathynsarasota

Reaction score
Help!! Money is tight right now(as we all know!!) sooo I am attempting to fix my dishwasher by myself. I have pulled it out of the cabinets and can see the leak is coming from probably(?) a gasket that went bad. It is a whirlpool and I have the "pump and motor parts" diagram. I think it is coming from the housing seal head. I don't want to take the darn thing apart----is there a product I can use that will seal the leak from the outside? Thanks for your help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dw

You have to take it apart. That is why many people, if they do not choose to have an appliance repair company fix it, replace rather than repair dishwashers. It is time intensive, and by the time you get it back together, you could have a different leak.

Wrex

Reaction score
As Hj said the best thing to do is disassemble it and replace the gasket or replace the appliance.

I was about to recommend some RTV sealant to put on the gasket.

However since the pump sprays the water in the tub on your dishes over and over and since I'm pretty sure that RTV isn't made to be used on (or to be in contact with) potable water it isn't such a good idea.

Last edited:

Nate R

Reaction score
I was about to recommend some RTV sealant to put on the gasket.

However since the pump sprays the water in the tub on your dishes over and over and since I'm pretty sure that RTV isn't made to be used on (or to be in contact with) potable water it isn't such a good idea.

I dunno, that might be OK. How is it different than glue used for CPVC? I bet both are pretty inert after curing.

Google quickly shows that there are RTVs that are rated for food contact.

That still doesn't make it the best option in this case, though.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
The RTV is fine as it is benign once cured. It does release acetic acid fumes (that vinegar smell) as it cures. Don't use gobs and gobs of the stuff, just enough to coat the gasket. Unfortunately hj is correct that all too often you will spend too much time fixing one leak and then another will appear to take its place. Washing dishes by hand isn't THAT bad and you can save a bit of money over a few months and get a new dishwasher. Even the lower priced GE models are better than the Whirlpools.

BTW, RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanizing.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No matter what you do, new gasket or silicone you will need to separate the pump from the housing which is quite a task because as you have no doubt already seen, there is a whole lot of crap attached to it. Smearing silicone on the leaking area will accomplish nothing.

How's it going Lord Google Boy? Nice to hear from you. Great advice as usual.

Wrex

Reaction score
Applying silicone directly to the gasket will stop the leak.

If your leak is between the sump and the tub and you can separate them a bit to get the RTV onto the gasket sealing surface then you should be good.

RTV is used in place of rubber gaskets for automotive.

I have personally used it to seal coolant inlets on cars (where gaskets were not used) if it can stand that then hot dishwater is nothing.

How are you doing Nh still flapping your gums I see?

I told you before I'm not a king or a lord don't listen to those voices in your head and take your medication otherwise the men in white coats will have to reduce your computer time.

You'll have to forgive Nh he suffers from delusions from time to time but is mostly harmless.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I might as well turn into a hack appliance repair DIYer...
How bout some of dat JB Weld...

Wrex

Reaction score
The poster asked if they could repair the gasket without taking it completely apart.

That is the only way I know of.

The only other option is a gasket replacement.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Google Boy, do you really, truley believe that smearing silicone all over the leak, without taking the thing apart is really going to be anything more than a temporary fix? Why are you so willing to continually search for the fast, easy way out of everything? This poor woman is going to take your stupid advise because it's the easiest thing to do and a month down the road it's going to leak all over her kitchen again. Quit arguing because as usual you bring nothing usefull to the table. The pump needs to be removed from the bottom of the dishwasher (ever seen one up close?) and the gasket replaced. A fairly simple task for someone that has the tools and skill. I guess that's maybe why you like smearing silicone on it. Lack of tools and skill. No run off and Google something for us to read in the toilet.

I will be eagerly awaiting your scathing reply ;)

Wrex

Reaction score
Oh I'm sorry Nh I forgot that all DIYers are half wits and can't make a decision on their own when given options.

When making a decision you have to consider all the options some may not work or only be a temporary fix however they are one option of many.

How about you get a life and stop hounding on me? Although at your age it's probably the highlight of your day.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Oh I'm sorry Nh I forgot that all DIYers are half wits and can't make a decision on their own when given options.

No just some of them are...
And for some reason they have an abundance of posts...

I like the Google Boy name you have been assigned...
Seems to fit!

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score

When making a decision you have to consider all the options some may not work or only be a temporary fix however they are one option of many.
How about you get a life and stop hounding on me? Although at your age it's probably the highlight of your day.

Google Boy, Why would anyone want to "temporarily" fix a dishwasher? So that when you run it, you can stay in the kitchen the whole cycle just in case it leaks again? You buy muffler bandages don't you? cause you're too cheap to fix it right the first time.

Wrex

Reaction score
Old fart, first of all if you looked at my first post I said that the gasket replacement method was preferred.

But you do after all have a short attention span so I'm going to keep all future postings short since anything over a few sentences makes your brain explode.

I'm done with this conversation.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Google boy, if gasket replacement was your first option, it should have been the ONLY option with the exception of buying a new dishwasher. You do make me laugh though.;)

I kinda like " Old Fart" has a nice ring to it. I wonder if I can change my screen name? I'm gonna go see....

Wrex

Reaction score
No just some of them are...

Red this is between me and Mickey Rooney here twos company three is a crowd :D.

Looking forward to your next post Nh you are sunshine on a cloudy day :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No when people post stupid stuff I feel obligated to make a comment!
So Don't say stupid stuff, and it will stay a battle between Google Boy and Old Fart!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks