PDA

View Full Version : Shower layout / joist interference

jch
08-28-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm redoing a bathroom and replacing a clawfoot tub with a shower.

My designer has spec'd a 36" W x 50" L shower area along one wall with a 1-foot neo-angle corner.

However, the floor joist runs lengthwise under the proposed shower area at 18" from the wall (right where I would want to put the drain).

How do you normally deal with this sort of problem?

- mount the drain off-center? (say, 20" from the one side wall and 16" from the other)

- make the shower area skinnier so that the mid-point no longer falls on the joist?

- move the shower area out from the wall a bit (say with an extra 2x4 ledge along the long wall) so that the newly-centered drain now misses the joist?

- something else??

I was hoping to use a Schluter kit for the base, but any non-standard drain placement is going to make that impossible.

Advice?

Thanks!
.../john

jadnashua
08-28-2008, 09:11 PM
It's easier if you keep thoughts on one project in one thread. You could build a header and box out the joist area enough to allow the drain where you want it. A shower does look better if the drain is centered, but it doesn't have to be. I'd probably just buy the Kerdi and drain, then make a mudbed and put it slightly off-center and clear the joists. Deck mud is intimidating, but not all that bad. It's sort of like working with wet beach sand if mixed right.

jch
08-29-2008, 09:59 AM
It's easier if you keep thoughts on one project in one thread.
Ooops! I thought this might be a general knowledge type question that others could use in the future....

You could build a header and box out the joist area enough to allow the drain where you want it.
Interesting--for some reason I hadn't thought of doing that. This is a reno'd attic, so the floor joists are the original 2x4's sistered with new 2x10's. In that area, there's a 2" gap between them (due to staggered overlapping) so I'd have to think about how I'd actually get a header in there (the sistered 2x4 and 2x10 are not touching in the area where a header would go).

Thanks for the suggestion.