Adding a hand shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate R

Reaction score
I've installed our new tub in the new alcove opening framed on new floors that are sistered with new LVL joists that are also supported by a new LVL beam. It's been a LOT of work just to get to this point. Nevermind moving a window location and installing a new window in the bathroom. I'm working on the DWV system now, and should have it finished tonight. I would like to start on the supply plumbing tomorrow. A bit backwards, I know. But it was easiest to locate DWV stuff etc w/ the tub already in place.

Anyway, we bought a Moen Monticello single handle tub faucet, valve and showerhead. My wife would also like to add a handshower for washing the dog, etc. I would still like to keep the normal showerhead for everyday use. I would like to be able to switch between the normal showerhead and the hand shower. The ability to have both on at once would be nice as well, but not mandatory. How do I plumb this? I have no experience w/ handshower fittings, diverters, etc.

Anyone done this? Pics? Suggestions on how to go between the showerheads?

Construct30

Reaction score
Be sure it is OK to install a handheld shower on that faucet. I've done it with a three handle, but it is almost impossible to do what you want with a single handle design. There is no diverter valve, the button pushes the water up to the head. You can put a diverter valve on the arm up high, but that makes it hard to wash a dog with the handheld, it needs to be down lower. We did a shower once, but installed a second faucet just for the dog wash.

Nate R

Reaction score
Well, they have 5 and 6 foot "cords, right?" If I put the diverter above the faucet, I would think it would be enough to reach the dog with the spray.

Nate R

Reaction score
Redwood, thank you! Seems that the arm-mounted diverter would be the easiest, cleanest way to go. I like that it's so easy to remove, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks