Water htr heattrap fittings - pressure issue

Users who are viewing this thread

edbreyer

Reaction score
Do the heat-trap fittings installed in inlets/outlets of home hot water heaters reduce the pressure very much? I recently installed a second hot water heater (in series) in addition to my existing water heater.

The water pressure is still very good in my regular shower - but I'm wonering if having the heat traps in both heaters may reduce the pressure to my master bath shower (still being finished).

I'm thinking I could have the "cold" trap coupling installed in the "in" side of the first water heater and have the "hot" trap installled in the "out" side of the second heater.

Any thoughts?

By the way - I plumbed them in series (versus parallel) because the first heater is only turned on (via remote control) when we know we'll have a heavy hot water demand (e.g. weekend guests, whirlpool use, etc). Typically, this first heater will be inactive/unheated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The heat traps will have no effect on pressure. They may may have a slight effect on the volume, but probably not. My unprofessional opinion.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heat traps

They do have an effect on the dynamic pressure which is why they will affect the volume. Removing the two redundant ones may not help, but it will also not cause any problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks