Floor mount tub filler...

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Fox

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am removing a fiberglass tub and replacing with a freestanding tub. I want to use a floor mount tub filler as my first choice, wall moount second.
So for the floor mount tub filler I have a few questions(please see attachment for current pic):

1. most of the tub filler online diagram or instructions dotn give much info for hooking up pipe. From what I can see these filler have braided lines that go into the floor. This is fine for below floor access.
I realize I will need to jack hammer out to the wall(the wall is a non bearing its a short wall into toilet room) run the pipes over and up.
Is this the best way to set this up?

2.Since the pipes will require soldering at or below slab I am concerned with water and not getign a good bond, ideas?

3. I am a DIYer, any foreseable code issues, moving pipes, pipes side by side connections to braided connections at or below slab?

Any other considerations?Ideas?

Thanks....
Chris

Chris Fox

Reaction score
ooops no pic...

heres the pic...

Attachments

• tub filler.jpg
    tub filler.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 3,106

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub filler

If you use braided hoses to connect the tub filler, I hope you have some very, very substantial way of supporting the filler.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Fox

Reaction score
HJ,

According to the vague drawings there is a metal bracket for mounting. I have this question and others out to sales. This is a tub filler is by Nottingham Brass - sold through Clawfoot supply.com/signaturehardware.com
So its not your Kohler, Grohe, etc brand which are outrageous in cost.

Thanks Chris

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

The metal bracket is usually only to stabilize the valve, not support it. It sounds like you are getting what you pay for, namely, an inexpensive valve that might not be completely functional once you try to install it.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
For $800 I am banking on for it to have adequate mounting for the valve and to mount to the slab. However, Grohe and Kohler sell their similar tub fillers for $1200, some of the cost is inflated for brand recognition.

Looks I need to do more research before I buy.

A sales person responded from Nottingham brass suggesting I mount this to a floor box and have the lines run under this box to the wall...kinda kills the aesthetic! Or run the lines near the floor.
Wall mounted tub filler is starting to look good.

Anyone here on the forum install one of these floor mount tub filler?? They cant be too much different from one brand to another as far as mounting.

Chris

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
filler

The ones I have installed ALL screw into pipes at or below the floor level, and the "bracket" secures it to the tub overflow. The pipes secure the valve, and the bracket keeps it steady.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Bottom line, if something has a price difference of $400 less than it's competitors, theres a reason.
The cost might have been shaved by using lower grade alloys, low quality seals, thinner guage parts...etc.
For a standard 4" spread lav faucet, sure name brands might be over-priced.
Something higher end like this though, I'd splurge.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
tub faucet

Unless Nottingham sells a bracket attachable to the overflow, the filler will be unstable and will move back and forth when handled. Buying a product like this without a physical inspection is risky bordering on foolhardy.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
I will see if they email or post the install instructions to make a clear judgement. All your points made I agree with. It seems like Kohler is the only brand that post clear,downloadable PDF specs and instruction sheets.
Aqua Brass has another Tub Filler that coaught my eye(actually wifes eye)
Anyone have an opinion on AquaBrass??

Thanks Again for thegreat feedback,
Chris

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only thing that makes a floor mounted tub filler 6 times the cost of a good Delta shower control is that Kohler figures there are some people out there willing to spend that much money for something to show off to their guests, so Kohler might as well collect the cash.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks