bathtub faucet leak

Users who are viewing this thread

mstephe

Reaction score
I have a price pfister two handle tub faucet with diverter. The house is 50 years old and the faucets are probably original to the house. I have a hot water faucet leak. I have replace the seat, stem and washer (tried flat and beveled). The faucet still leaks. What can I do next? I hope I don't have to replace everything because that would require ripping out tile, etc. Thanks for your help

pp_tub_valve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

The faucet can be converted to the new quarter turn ceramic seal stems, but I hesitate to tell a novice how to do it because that particular faucet may not work the traditional way, and if done incorrectly the stems could be damaged. You may have damaged the internal web by installing the stems something other than the full open position, in which case replacing the faucet is the only option.

mstephe

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I will consider your suggestion.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
How did the seat look that you removed? Were there cuts on the top of it and on the threads?

Try removing the stem and seat and flushing out the line for a few seconds. Then wrap the new seat a few times with teflon tape and reinstall.

Replace the washer again and make sure the stem is in the open position when tightening it down.

BTW, if the bottom of the stem where the bibb washer sits is all corroded, you will have to replace the stem as well.

mstephe

Reaction score
bathtub faucet repair

Thanks for your response. The old seat appeared to be smooth, but I replaced anyway. Stem was replaced also. Yes, the stem was completely open when I installed it. I will try the teflon tape wrap again. A plumbing supply person said to only wrap the tape around the inner edge fo the seat. That is what I did. I have tried flat and beveled washers with same leak results.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wrap the threads of the seat just like you'd wrap the threads of anything else.

As a last resort, you may want to try using a seat that is slightly longer than the one in there now, but which has the identical threads. This will insure that the washer definitely seals against the seat. If it still leaks, then the valve body threads may be messed up.

mstephe

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I will try yoursuggestions tomorrow. A plumber has told me I need to replace the valve body but I'm holding out on that as long as possible - major effort.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks