HW advice New construction

Users who are viewing this thread

fcoats49

Reaction score
I am planning a new house of about 2700 SF. It will have split bedrooms and baths with 3/2.5. I live in central MS with winter temps going to about 10 degrees for only a few days and not at all some years.

I am thinking about hot water needs with only the baths having heated floors and for DHW for the baths and kitchen.

I had thought about 2 tankless units (one each end) until reading some of the postings. Thus, I'm looking for input. The local people seem to have little knowledge of this type unit in the immediate area.

Thanks for any guidance anyone can give.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
fcoats49 said:
I am planning a new house of about 2700 SF. It will have split bedrooms and baths with 3/2.5. I live in central MS with winter temps going to about 10 degrees for only a few days and not at all some years.

I am thinking about hot water needs with only the baths having heated floors and for DHW for the baths and kitchen.

I had thought about 2 tankless units (one each end) until reading some of the postings. Thus, I'm looking for input. The local people seem to have little knowledge of this type unit in the immediate area.

Thanks for any guidance anyone can give.

ooooh boy!
There's alotta stuff to cover without seeing the place.
I'll first assume you're dealing with a plumber, so I'd suggest you ask him about condensing boilers with indirect hot water vs tankless.
you'll need some source for heat on those few cold days, and you obviously need hot water.
Tankless will only provide hot water...you'd still need a furnace or boiler.
In terms of overall cost vs energy efficiency, an indirect with a boiler is your best option, but be warned...the higher the efficiency, the higher the price.
I'd suggest you do a websearch for the following: Viessman, Heat Transfer Products, Buderus, and enter the words "condensing boiler" for a search.
Take what you learn and discuss it with your plumber...be sure to bring him some tylenol.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks