Purchasing Freeze Damage home

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Hey guys. Need some help from the pro plumbers. Amongst my DIY skills I have been dabling in the RE market the past 3 years now.

Of all the investments I have purchased to date "3 were bank foreclosed homes" that were winterized at purchase time. 1st 2 were older homes(1920-30) w/ iron piping to rads and I lucked out and there was no freeze damage.

The next was a raised ranch less than 25yrs old. All fin tube baseboard heat and copper piping. There was one broken pipe to toilet supply line, that was an easy fix(after turning on the house water btw). Lukily nothing on the heating sys.

Now I am looking at another similar home, a raised ranch. This time it is again winterized but the bank is listing "Freeze Damage" So I know there will be at least one break. I'd like to calculate my risk here.

In doing a visual on the pipes I found in three different places the copper wrapped in a foil like tape. Never seen this and was wondering if this is maybe something that was done to "mark" breaks when the house was winterized? Tryin to see if this will help me at all.

Also I am correct in assuming that when a house's piping freezes...if there is break it lessens the likelihood of more breaks since now all the expanding water has somewhere to go? What is the general experience with these types of conditions?

I am not worried bout making the repairs, as i am capable, but more of being proactive bout them before turning on the water and causing more water damage.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
freezing

The breaks can/will occur between the points where freezing occurs. So, it it only freezes in two places, then there is a likelihood of only being one break. But if there are multiple freeze points with water trapped between them then all those points can break also.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I did a split level for a guy doing the very same thing you are and the 7 breaks and DIY plumbing corrections cost him almost a $1,000.00 so it can be like playing roulette.

It could have been worse if he had FHW heat but he had FHA.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks