3 Shut off valves under bathroom sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

sfphoenix75

Reaction score
Quick question: has anyone seen a bathroom sink vanity with three shutoff valves underneath? I just saw one at a hotel in Atlanta and I was curoius why there's a third valve.

The first two run to the hot and cold water faucets, as expected. The third connects smack into the tailpipe/p-trap.

Anyone familiar with this?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The one thing that is sometimes run into a lav tailpiece is a condensate drain from an air conditioner, but I don't know why it would have a valve on it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Is there a floor drain in the room? If so that might be a tailpiece trap primer and the plumber did not know how to go from the tailpiece to the wall without using the valve as a reducer.

sfphoenix75

Reaction score
I think you might have got it hj, as there was a small floor drain under the vanity sink area. I'm still unclear on what the connection is between a tailpiece primer into the vanity trap and the floor drain. I thought primers were meant to keep the floor drain trap wet?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks