Replacing Bathroom Fan

Users who are viewing this thread

Fix-er-up-Mom

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me a website that will show step-by-step photos of "How to replace a bathroom fan?" My exhaust fan contains no light and is making a terrible noise. It is probably 25+ years old - so I assume it would be best to replace it.

kc567567

Reaction score
Fix-er-up-Mom said:
Can anyone tell me a website that will show step-by-step photos of "How to replace a bathroom fan?" My exhaust fan contains no light and is making a terrible noise. It is probably 25+ years old - so I assume it would be best to replace it.

The 50cfm unit i have in my 15 year old house need replacing as well ..... in my case the grille just pulls off and the fan unit has a plug right there. Unplug it, take out one screw, and the unit drops out.

Carry it to your local hardware store and ask for a drop in replacement (can you get them anymore???) …… I think you might find a 70cfm unit ….. a little better.

I believe most decent new bottom end units are like 140-160 cfm???? I can tell you that my 50cfm’s are next to useless. Another thing is that the air outlet sizes of the newer fan units are larger (~3.5†instead of my old ~2.5†?????) ….. this means a new one will not just drop in …… need to mess around with the air flow piping, ceiling hole size, any insulation etc.

I have a contractor coming in to do me a new shower (another thread) and he will replace for me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks