Toilet Tank Bolt Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

WyomingGal

Reaction score
How in the world do I get the toilet tank bolts off if they are corroded and the nuts won't move? I tried to drill one of them, but the brass doesn't drill easily. Is there an easier way to get the nuts/bolts off?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Use a hack saw a 'blade" and take the time...........be patient.....

Those are probably steel bolts.

Just don't use a hammer and chisel.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you are replacing the toilet you can bend them back and forth until they break, use a saws all on them or break away the porcelain around them. Hack saws can be difficult to use on some and may not work at all on others. They make a small saw that works well for them. Basicly a handle with a blade protruding from it.

WyomingGal

Reaction score
Problem Resolved!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I did get the bolts off, even without throwing the toilet out the window. I used 2 sets of vice grips and a lot of WD 40. I got the wing nut off, but didn't realize for a bit that there was another nut between the tank and the seat. I ended up disconnecting the water source (yes it was turned off this whole time) and removing the tank completely so I could get to the nut on the bottom of the tank! Everything is reassembled and working (no leaks so far)! I appreciate all the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks