Yet another well test and softener recommendation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Darren Hoelscher

Reaction score
Hi ,

Our current Kennmore that came with the house we bought 6 years ago gave up... Called Pentair out
and didnt like the way he tested the hardness... went through the old system vs bypassing it... found this forum and got the recommended test... 2500 sq ft house me and the wife and the college kids come every other week or so . Well is 300' plus, recently had the pressure tank replaced 6 months ago. well is probably running about 70% capacity at moment and will have it pulled when money allows and replace the pump. we have about 40-50psi. but is down a bit due to pump running for unknown time due to the old pressure tank.

I am prob looking at a 48k unit??? I think that is about what Pentair was offering. but I am not brand specific and fairly handy ... plenty of room in barn for a new unit.

Looking and not knowing what all these #'s mean prob sounds like a filter of some sort might be justified?

results.... everything else tested below Sulfate was ND... this was our 3rd test on the water and first time I saw Coliform pop up. the other tests were done locally in Houston.

Microbiologicals
Total Coliform by P/A Total coliform was Present in this sample and E. coli bacteria was ABSENT.
Inorganic Analytes - Metals
Aluminum ND mg/L 0.2 EPA Secondary 0.1
Arsenic ND mg/L 0.010 EPA Primary 0.005
Barium 0.42 mg/L 2 EPA Primary 0.30
Cadmium ND mg/L 0.005 EPA Primary 0.002
Calcium 91.8 mg/L -- 2.0
Chromium ND mg/L 0.1 EPA Primary 0.010
Copper 0.134 mg/L 1.3 EPA Action Level 0.004
Iron ND mg/L 0.3 EPA Secondary 0.020
Lead ND mg/L 0.015 EPA Action Level 0.002
Lithium 0.010 mg/L -- 0.001
Magnesium 7.70 mg/L -- 0.10
Manganese ND mg/L 0.05 EPA Secondary 0.004
Mercury ND mg/L 0.002 EPA Primary 0.001
Nickel ND mg/L -- 0.020
Potassium 1.7 mg/L -- 1.0
Selenium ND mg/L 0.05 EPA Primary 0.020
Silica 31.6 mg/L -- 0.1
Silver ND mg/L 0.100 EPA Secondary 0.002
Sodium 40 mg/L -- 1
Strontium 0.349 mg/L -- 0.001
Uranium 0.002 mg/L 0.030 EPA Primary 0.001
Zinc 0.020 mg/L 5 EPA Secondary 0.004

Physical Factors
Alkalinity (Total as CaCO3) 230 mg/L -- 20
Hardness 260 mg/L 100 NTL Internal 10
pH 7.2 pH Units 6.5 to 8.5 EPA Secondary
Total Dissolved Solids 380 mg/L 500 EPA Secondary 20
Turbidity 0.1 NTU 1.0 EPA Action Level 0.1
Inorganic Analytes - Other
Bromide ND mg/L -- 0.5
Chloride 58.0 mg/L 250 EPA Secondary 5.0
Fluoride ND mg/L 4.0 EPA Primary 0.5
Nitrate as N ND mg/L 10 EPA Primary 0.5
Nitrite as N ND mg/L 1 EPA Primary 0.5
Ortho Phosphate ND mg/L -- 2.0
Sulfate 8.0 mg/L 250 EPA Secondary 5.0

Bannerman

Reaction score
As there is no iron or manganese, the softener maybe sized so as to require regeneration between 1X per week and 1X per month.

Assuming 4 ppl, each anticipated to use 60 gallons/day X 16 grains per gallon hardness (260 mg/L / 17.1 = 15.2 rounded up ) = 3,840 total grains/day softening load.

A softener containing 1.5 cubic feet resin (48K grains total softening capacity) will operate more efficiently when regenerated when 36K grains capacity has been depleted as that will require only 12 lbs salt consumption (8 lbs/ft3) each regeneration cycle.

36,000 / 3,840 = 9.375 days capacity - 1 day reserve = 8-9 days estimated regeneration frequency.

During periods while there are only 2 occupants and therefore approx 1/2 of the water consumption, 16-18 days regeneration remains well within the recommended monthly frequency so it appears a 1.5 ft3 softener will be appropriate for your requirements.

Assuming your home's main supply line is 1" or larger, consider a unit equipped with a Fleck 5810 or a Clack WS1 control valve. If your mainline is 1.25", the Fleck 5812 or Clack WS1.25 will be appropriate. These will be typically available from local generic water treatment dealers.

The Fleck 5600 is a several decades old design that remains popular as it continues to be sold online, but that valve is best suited for 3/4" plumbing.

While your water appears to be very nice, for increased purity, you could consider an undersink Reverse Osmosis system to supply water utilized for drinking & cooking. An R/O system will typically supply a small faucet located beside the kitchen sink, and maybe also plumbed to a refrigerator ice and water dispensor.

Darren Hoelscher

Reaction score
Thanks Bannerman... my line from well to softener is 1-1'4" and I think to the house is 1" so 1" sounds like the way to go. my system before was using 200$3 salt a month.... and I think it was just getting stuck on regen cycles etc..the big freeze didnt help it

The water tastes good but just bit hard. hopefully get this back online and get all the faucets / shower heads cleaned back up...

So brand isn't a huge issue? as long as they use one of the mentioned valves?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Most water softeners are assembled using various off-the shelf components.

Some brand names such as Ki___co, C____n and a few others, often offer quality proprietary equipment, but those brands are not usually recommended on this forum. As those brands are only offered through franchised dealer networks, you will be at their mercy for not only the initial cost, and also for future parts and service.

Buying online is typically advised against as many online dealers aim only to underprice the other online competition. Cheap, offshore produced tanks, bottom screen, brine pickup, resin, etc, is too often utilized so as to offer the lowest cost system while still making some profit. The Fleck (Pentair) brand is usually featured as it is recognized and well respected, and since they are typically marketed as a Fleck system, most customers are lead to believe the entire softener was built by Fleck.

A similar appearing system supplied by a local servicing dealer, will commonly utilize higher quality, reliable components as failure of a cheap component, will usually result in a follow-up onsite service call after installation, which will result in an expense for the dealer.

Last edited:

Darren Hoelscher

Reaction score
Found a local business that uses the Clack WS1.25 Or CSI Chandler valve that is blue tooth, going with Clack,
They used to use the Fleck but can't get parts easily now.

5yr and can get to it next week. All they do is water filtration and all I see is high reviews for them and their products.
Thanks for all the help thus far.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks