White-Rodgers gas valve leaking vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Kulig

Reaction score
White Rodgers gas leak from vent
I’m a owner of Bosch furnace BGH96. Few days ago just finished installing gas line to unit, gas line was tested no leaks so I connected line to the furnace gas ball valve - pressure gauge - union - drip leg - and finally gas valve 2 stage white rodgers 36J54-214 (converted to lpg gas) purge air from line by drip leg and another test, start at 1st try
Cool, but I decide to close the gas ball valve and check if there’s no leak, after few minutes pressure was little dropping, takes 2,5h to drop from 11WC to 0 in 1/2 black iron pipe about 4ft long from ball valve to gas valve, after long search found leak by bubbles method it was regulator vent on gas valve it doesn’t matter if gas valve is in on or off position it’s still leaking from 11WC to 0 in 2,5h sometimes 2h
Is it normal? Or I need to call Bosch to replace that valve? As it for me it’s a lot of gas per year

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
There should be absolutely NO leaking anywhere.
Typically factory tests and sets before shipping, since there is so much liability involved.
I too suspect you over pressurized the line.
We never test with air beyond the shutoff valve itself.

Kulig

Reaction score
I tested 3/4 line in crawl space at 30psi but that was before I connect the rest to the furnace after that just used bubbles method valve never had more than 11wc (my twin stage regulator is set at 12wc on tanks, but pressure drops to 11 near to the unit)
6C112808-52B4-4909-B149-1150F6F437CB.jpg

diagram showing that vent leak is limited whatever that means

Last edited:

Kulig

Reaction score
I tested 3/4 line in crawl space at 30psi but that was before I connect the rest to the furnace after that just used bubbles method valve never had more than 11wc (my twin stage regulator is set at 12wc on tanks, but pressure drops to 11 near to the unit)
View attachment 78735

Besides that valve works correctly.

Cuzzinred

Reaction score
View attachment 78735

Probably going to need a new valve, sounds if debris got into the valve and not letting It seat properly. I have seen this clear itself after a few cycles, but very rarely!

Kulig

Reaction score
Ok guys replaced gas valve, but guess what Same shit again is it normal? Pressure drops to 0 every 2-2,5h Will add pics
405BEDA9-1A69-4D6E-918F-01B69DA96E06.jpeg
A11A09CE-0272-417D-B341-32E0AE836F83.jpeg
354A1877-5C33-4BC6-B98A-B1CB796EA03A.jpeg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The vent could look as if its leaking if you spray it with soap bubbles. The valve could be working just fine and look as of it's leaking. The vent let's air in and out it operate the diaphragm. Secondarily it's a pressure relief vent. Which is why it needs to be either limited or piped to the outdoors.

Stop testing the valve. The only test needed would be to test both sides to make sure it's delivering the correct pressure.

Kulig

Reaction score
Something is wrong it can’t drop pressure to 0 on 4ft of 1/2” pipe every 2h sometimes 2,5h pressure is stable 12wc, when is on hi fire is stable 10,5 wc
It doesn’t matter if the valve is in on or off position I’m loosing a lot of gas per day. That’s it much more than 250ppm/h leak even for a vent
Btw vent limiters are not for valves with compromised diaphragm/additional protection if valve fails?
5A6F6D7D-5378-4F04-8F96-B7C049288F33.jpeg

If Firs bubble was to small this one is better

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Something is wrong it can’t drop pressure to 0 on 4ft of 1/2” pipe every 2h sometimes 2,5h pressure is stable 12wc, when is on hi fire is stable 10,5 wc
It doesn’t matter if the valve is in on or off position I’m loosing a lot of gas per day. That’s it much more than 250ppm/h leak even for a vent
Btw vent limiters are not for valves with compromised diaphragm/additional protection if valve fails?
No that's no what a vent limiter is for per se. Their function will stop gas loss in the vent of failure or overpressure.

Kulig

Reaction score
This is new gas valve that was replaced Friday and has same issues like last one
From furnace got 4ft of 1/2” pipe to gas ball valve additional 2 ft to 3/4” pipe length of 3/4” pipe to additional valve by water heater is about 55ft
When valve is closed near water heater pressure drops from 12wc to 0 per day
There is definitely something wrong

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is new gas valve that was replaced Friday and has same issues like last one
From furnace got 4ft of 1/2” pipe to gas ball valve additional 2 ft to 3/4” pipe length of 3/4” pipe to additional valve by water heater is about 55ft
When valve is closed near water heater pressure drops from 12wc to 0 per day
There is definitely something wrong
Gas regulators do vent gas. I don't think you should be monitoring your gas valve so closely. I don't know how you know the bubbles are gas. The pressures in a gas system are very low. You can easily drive a section of pipe to 0 psi by turning a valve on and off and diverting gas flow to other appliances. Gas valves are controlled automatically they open,and close, purge themselves, and burn off excess pressure through regulating portion and vent.

It's normal to smell gas when you have gas appliances. There's a limit though. Are you smelling excess gas?

Kulig

Reaction score
9149D975-930C-482E-B6D4-5DECFA2ACC1B.jpeg
C2D23D69-4EE2-4027-B266-5DB9C44C227B.jpeg

just don’t mention about missing drip leg and electrical panel that is too close ;p
This water heater was working as an boiler for my old air handler with water coil with commercial controller that overrides 145f max temp to 190f
This beast is strong enough to heat space and for 2 showers at a time

Kulig

Reaction score
It’s not air because unit was working after I closed valve by water heater. It just purging all system to 0 if it stays like this I’m just loosing a lot of gas per year. I’m not smelling any gas, but still it cannot be like that something is wrong with this construction of a gas valve. I already send email to Emerson and waiting for answer.

Kulig

Reaction score
Received email from Emerson technical support saying that there should be no gas leaking from the gas valve itself from this vent or anyplace else.
The vent on the gas valve is there to allow the pressure regulator inside the valve body to reference atmospheric pressure.

so another replacement…. Will record installation of another valve if it will leak again something is wrong with it too sensitive… dunno there is no stress on valve itself, actually it’s pretty tight space to install this valve but still… first will try with flex connection and test it

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Received email from Emerson technical support saying that there should be no gas leaking from the gas valve itself from this vent or anyplace else.
The vent on the gas valve is there to allow the pressure regulator inside the valve body to reference atmospheric pressure.

so another replacement…. Will record installation of another valve if it will leak again something is wrong with it too sensitive… dunno there is no stress on valve itself, actually it’s pretty tight space to install this valve but still… first will try with flex connection and test it
I'm testing regulators right now every single one vents gas.

Right when you turn on the gas there is a sharp velocity increase which will cause the regulator to vent gas. As the system stabilizes the regulator will drop the pressure and stop venting gas. If they told you the regulator should have no gas coming from they they are wrong. Why do you think they need to be piped to the outdoors or have a vent limiter on them? Atmospheric could be had from anywhere.

If you are turning valves on and off and messing with the differential across the valve you will vent gas. Sometimes slowly and sometimes quickly. Without being there to see exactly how your doing this I can't say if your valve is bad. I'm gonna guess you're new valve does what this one does. If you call any customer service person and say that you're a homeowner and you found a leak in your gas valve they aren't going to tell you it's ok.

Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks