When faucets are hard to find….

Users who are viewing this thread

NashvillePlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello all , my 2cent —- don’t widen your searches for off brand faucet parts or expect Plumber to have them. Do expect Plumber to push Replacement. Consider this ; big box and plumbing supply stores have very smart purchasing depts & know what parts sell well and which get returned. If they don’t stock it chances are they don’t even work well and they have discontinued.

release your frustration…. John

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
What would be considered "off brand"? 5 year old Glacier Bay shower? 100 year old Meuller Brass shower? Would you push a homeowner to replace either?

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I hear your frustration and know it all too well.

Taking the time to search for stems/cartridges to a $20 faucet installed 2 years ago, explaining to the customer that, for the price of my labor/time they're better off installing a recognized name, and, hearing "I'll call you back".

Or, sight unseen before going out, I've replaced more than a few cartridges for faucets that are falling apart or damaged to the point it seems pointless to bother....I feel ridiculous asking for the check.

I had the misfortune of working for a bath remodel contractor who provided $50 "builder grade" shower valves exclusive to a big box store, constant callbacks for water hammer, low pressure, and failed pressure balance cartridges, I stopped working for that contractor.

Back in the day faucets used to be proportionally more expensive than they are now, it's often just better to replace.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Access panels. I push them when I can. We mostly install delta becuse they are so smart with their design and widely available while being extremely variable in their function.

NashvillePlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
Exactly! If all repair parts were as simple and I piece as Delta and Moen . Anyone have helpful tips on repair Kohler Single Handle Shower / cartridge replacement.
#Aggravated!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Exactly! If all repair parts were as simple and I piece as Delta and Moen . Anyone have helpful tips on repair Kohler Single Handle Shower / cartridge replacement.
#Aggravated!
If you take a picture of it and create a thread there's a guy on here that can probably provide an exploded picture of it and identify parts. @Marlinman usually can find info on about any faucet.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
well yea a junk 15 dollar faucet might not pay to repair, but somtimes people want to keep thier stuff working and dont like throw away everthing, and would rather pay more for a 30 or 40 year prduct over replacing every 5 years

GL77

Reaction score
I love my old Delta kitchen faucet with washers and brass fittings and take good care of it so I hope it lasts forever. The one I had in my bathroom developed an internal leak and they sent me a new one. Delta is great like that. But I hate the new one with the cartridge and plastic tubing. You can never adjust it to the right degree of warm. It goes from hot to cold with no stopping place in between.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Dealt with a plumbing / mechanical supplier for over 40 years. 1st and 2nd generation owners they stocked almost anything related to pipe from left handed fittings, 1/8" pipe to 16", tools and anything that was obsolete. Open up anytime of day or night, holiday or weather. Then 3 rd generation. Scrapped anything that hadn't sold in years, took two years computerised everything if anything didn't sell in 90 days it didn't get restocked. On the shelf for a year not selling one scrapped. Manufacturers of hvac even with ten year warranty on parts soon after out of warranty the part get priced so high it's stupid expensive that if anyone in the country might have one. Parts today come either first or second day air. Oversize or very heavy come by hotshot company.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks