What size for Vent PVC through roof for Washing Machine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dmcramerica

Reaction score
I am replacing the DWV in PVC for a washing machine. (Everything was done incorrectly in 1.5” and I am changing it all to 2”.) That said, the current vent up through the roof and boot on the roof is for 1.5”. Can I reduce my new 2” PVC vent to 1.5” PVC at the roof or do I need to maintain 2” through the roof? (Meaning I need to change the roof boot.) Thanks in advance!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
it wont really matter... leave it alone..... the 1 1/2 vent pipe is big enough

In our area you can have just one 1 1/2 vent for everything--literally for the whole house
sticking out the roof ..... seen this many times.....

so your vent will suffice for the laundry

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am replacing the DWV in PVC for a washing machine. (Everything was done incorrectly in 1.5” and I am changing it all to 2”.) That said, the current vent up through the roof and boot on the roof is for 1.5”. Can I reduce my new 2” PVC vent to 1.5” PVC at the roof or do I need to maintain 2” through the roof? (Meaning I need to change the roof boot.) Thanks in advance!
You only need a 1.5" vent starting at the standpipe trap arm san-tee. So you could use a 2x1.5x2 san-tee there. I think that would be better than starting the vent in 2" and reducing at the roof.

If it gets cold enough where you are, there's a concern that a small roof vent can frost over. So a common (required?) practice is to increase any roof vent to 3" just before the vent leaves the thermal envelope.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks