What level of water hammering is acceptable after a gut reno/brand new plumbing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gabeltron

Reaction score
Curious to hear from professional plumbers on this.

My Brooklyn single family renovation is 99% finished and as we've begun living here, there are some water hammering issues. Keep in mind that this was a gut renno, fresh install of all new plumbing by a master plumber and it has recently passed inspection.
Water hammering occurs on all fixtures, but the most alarming is the washing machine (on 2nd floor) once the fill shuts off. It is a loud bang. There are a few of these as the washing machine does its thing throughout the cycle (fill, rinse, etc.). It's loud enough to pop me up if I were napping downstairs.

The toilets also after filling up, there is a tap somewhere in the wall far away from the offending fixture. Same thing with the dishwasher, kitchen sink, etc. Could I live with these sounds? Yes, but it creates a janky/makeshift feeling in my new home.
Besides the sounds, it's my understanding (correct me if I am wrong) that this water hammering is not good for the pipes; it means something is not tightly connected and over time it runs the risk of loosening, leaking, etc.

The contractor said it's normal (he obviously has an incentive to say so). According to my preliminary research and experience in other houses, I do not believe this is normal and spending nearly 40k on whole house plumbing inclines me to put my foot down and push back on this.

What do you think?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to tell him to install hammer arrestors on the fixtures. It's not normal and shouldn't be left. A single PRV could also help, in place of all of those hammer arrestors.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Code requires arrestors on:
Washer
Ice maker
Dishwasher

hammer-arrestor-sicoince.jpg

An easy way to add an arrestor for a washer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks