What is the average weight of a Cast Iron Tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

1Newaygo

Reaction score
As my Cast Iron Tub needs to be replaced, as the finish has a rust spot that is getting larger and seen that replacing the Tub needs to happen but heard that they are heavy. When I searched they say they can be 325 lbs to 500 lbs. That means either you break it up or cut it up into pieces to remove it. That Said Is best not to Replacement Tub with another Cast Iron Tub as they are More Durable than others and will have a long life over others like Acrylic? So what could be the weight of a New Alcove Cast Iron Tub and how difficult is it to get one in place once the Old Has been Removed? 2 man Job 3 man Or ? Just trying to get an idea if it is a DIY or better to have a contractor remove and put a new cast iron tub in and who is best to do that? a Plumber or ?
Looking at options.
1Newaygo

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
As my Cast Iron Tub needs to be replaced, as the finish has a rust spot that is getting larger and seen that replacing the Tub needs to happen but heard that they are heavy. When I searched they say they can be 325 lbs to 500 lbs. That means either you break it up or cut it up into pieces to remove it. That Said Is best not to Replacement Tub with another Cast Iron Tub as they are More Durable than others and will have a long life over others like Acrylic? So what could be the weight of a New Alcove Cast Iron Tub and how difficult is it to get one in place once the Old Has been Removed? 2 man Job 3 man Or ? Just trying to get an idea if it is a DIY or better to have a contractor remove and put a new cast iron tub in and who is best to do that? a Plumber or ?
Looking at options.
1Newaygo
It would be a three man job if three men could fit in the usual areas that the tubs fit. That usually makes it a two man job but it's two men who equal three.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
HJ and I used to be able to set these by ourselves.
Directions below.

I quit doing them a few years ago though, as they tend to be 300 pounds or more, and the last one the customer had provided, it had been dropped off without the shipping crate, and without the crate for handles, was nearly impossible to carry up the stairs.
With the crate it was an easy two man job up flights of stairs.

1Newaygo

Reaction score
Thanks! I only have to get it up my front Porch Steps as my bathroom is on the first floor. So maybe 4 steps up and then thru the front door which is a straight shot down the hallway then thru the bathroom dr and then turning it to get it in place... Now just have to find 2 more to help?
Thanks for the Information.....
1Newaygo

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I used to get inside a tub like a turtle and walk up 3 flights of stairs. Then when I turned 68 I decided it would require another person to help me

Today with Americast tub it is a one man job

Boman66

Reaction score
I removed one from a house once by myself, but I took it through and exterior wall and put it in my truck.
I kept it for a while snd decided I was not going to use it, so I loaded it back in my truck from my yard and took it to a scrap yard.
It weighed like 401 lbs.
I was asked if I loaded it by myself. I said,”Well, yeah”.
I really did not think much of it at the time. It was several years ago.
At 66, not really sure I would want to attempt it now. That is over twice my body weight.
I should say it is not always just strength. Kowtow plays a part too.
Getting “inside one like a turtle” and going up three flights of stairs?
That is strength!

SuperDave70

Reaction score
HJ and I used to be able to set these by ourselves.
Directions below.

I quit doing them a few years ago though, as they tend to be 300 pounds or more, and the last one the customer had provided, it had been dropped off without the shipping crate, and without the crate for handles, was nearly impossible to carry up the stairs.
With the crate it was an easy two man job up flights of stairs.
I remember in the mid seventies I was a new journeyman plumbing houses. I was shown how to set a cast iron tub that was dropped off at the street with no hand truck. I was expected to put my shoulder under one corner, lift it to standing, then walk it into the house over a unpoured driveway. Then walk it down the hall, uncrate it and roll it into place using pieces of 2 inch abs. I weighed 155 lbs. I did every 3 1/2 days, which was how long it took to rough in the house and test it. My back it toast because of that. Back then safety was non existent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks