Well Water Whole House Filter

Users who are viewing this thread

Kierobi

Reaction score
New to the forum and unsure if this is in the right place or not, but willing to give it a whirl!

Have well supply for our house and current installation is well pump - chlorine/bleach injection point - contact tank - carbon media filter - pressure tank - house. Carbon media filter has a Fleck 2510 control head on it and it was damaged in the last storm and so now continually dumps and I've had to unplug it to stop from flooding my yard. Chlorine/Bleach dosing is a fixed rate pump that is wired to run when the well pump runs. Previous owners were mixing a gallon of bleach per 5 gallons water in the dosing tank but I've reduced that down as it was testing high in the house.

I could try to repair the control head and keep the existing system working, as we've honestly never noticed any issues with the water but looking through records from the previous owner, the system was installed in 1998 and so is probably due an upgrade anyways.

Am thinking on replacing with a whole house cartridge filter system (minimum two stage sediment and carbon block filters), but would like to get some opinions before I make any decisions. Looking round the houses in the area, there's a variety of different systems, but most seem to have the tank style filters, although some seem to have softeners and some don't. Reason I'm leaning towards a cartridge filter system is lower initial cost and easier maintenance over the carbon media filter I currently have.

Is it possible to replace a carbon media filter like this one with a cartridge system? Or with us being on a well, am I going to see filters clogging prematurely and have to replace them too often? I've been reading up on this and getting mixed messages and so wanted to put it to the forum.

Thanks in advance!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Don't bother with cartridge filters, way too expensive to maintain. A backwashing carbon tank will be a much better choice. Your old one is nearly 20 years old... time to upgrade. You could alos keep it real simple, replace the head with the same head and re-bed the carbon.

Kierobi

Reaction score
Don't bother with cartridge filters, way too expensive to maintain. A backwashing carbon tank will be a much better choice. Your old one is nearly 20 years old... time to upgrade. You could alos keep it real simple, replace the head with the same head and re-bed the carbon.
That's one approach I've been looking into as well, and something I'm still thinking about, but looking to find the replacement head, I'm getting a massive price range which always makes me a little leery in case I'm missing something when ordering.

FM1

Reaction score
Am thinking on replacing with a whole house cartridge filter system (minimum two stage sediment and carbon block filters),
My main concern for that would be just make sure to choose filters that flow enough water. I see plenty of reviews for 1 micron drinking water type filters that people put in their whole-house canister and then complain they have low water pressure.

I have a single 5 or 10 micron whole-house filter which flows fine, but a two-stage setup at the kitchen sink on the cold water line, with a .5 micron filter, and wow that's low water pressure on that one.

Kierobi

Reaction score
My main concern for that would be just make sure to choose filters that flow enough water. I see plenty of reviews for 1 micron drinking water type filters that people put in their whole-house canister and then complain they have low water pressure.

I have a single 5 or 10 micron whole-house filter which flows fine, but a two-stage setup at the kitchen sink on the cold water line, with a .5 micron filter, and wow that's low water pressure on that one.
I was thinking 50 micron course filter and then a 5-10 micron filter with carbon filter combo. If you don't mind me asking, how often do you end up changing the filters?

Reach4

Reaction score
Take a look a the Pentek DGD-5005-20 cartridge for the sediment.

FM1

Reaction score
I was thinking 50 micron course filter and then a 5-10 micron filter with carbon filter combo. If you don't mind me asking, how often do you end up changing the filters?
I assume email alerts still aren't working since I didn't get one for this and just happened to see it.

Whole house filter is a 10" typical under-sink size. Same size as the two 10" ones before the faucet. So keep that small size in mind when I say I change it about once a month. But filter changing depends on how dirty your water is anyway.

The two 10" filters right before the sink, I could change the first, cheapie one every 12 months if I wanted but 6 is better. The second filter, .5 micron pricier one, the other two filters apparently get practically everything so that one I could leave in there more than a year if I wanted, at least from simply looking at it.

Filter recommendations generally say to change filters at least every 3 or whatever months due to potential bacteria forming. eh.

Asker123

Reaction score
I have following 2 stage filter between my pressure tank and my softener . But I did not choose Carbon filter and rather chose a washable ( up to 3 times) 10 microns sediment filter as first one. Second is 5 micron sediment filter. No pressure loss. I have everything 1 inch upto spftener. Then output of softener is also 1 inch which then becomes 3/4 inch pex then 1/2 inch copper

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks