Well water issues

Users who are viewing this thread

mexjerry

Reaction score
Some history, the issues, and my current understanding.
My wife and I live in Chapala, Mexico, about 40 miles south of Guadalajara, great climate, and weather year round, at an altitude of around 5,000 feet, not much humidity.
We are on a community well, and, it is my belief, there is no processing of or for the water.
Three years ago, we purchased a 3 bedroom, 3 bath house, and replaced the old, outdated, unmaintained water softener, with a locally sourced unit, unkown brand name, but uses clack valves. This did reduce the scale build up, the water feels good when showering.Two years ago, I had a solar water heater installed, previously we used propane for heating of domestic water, about two weeks ago, I noticed water running from the roof drain, inspection revels the glass tubes seals were leaking, I hired a guy to fix, mistake, he used silicone sealant, in an attempt to fix the issue, they leaked worse after. I elected to repair myself, using new seals, and several glass tubes were replaced, yes, I broke some.
During the process of cleaning the silicone from the ends of the tubes, I noticed, and what I initially thought, was scale build up, but my later thinking is glass erosion, and scratching. I'll include a couple pics, one of the overall system, and one of the tube in question.
In order to determine if the glass had scale build up, or scratching/scoring, I soaked the area in CLR, overnight, and attempted to remove, no such luck, next I tried muriatic acid, a cotton swab was dipped into the acid, applied to the area, and left for a period of time, again no such luck at material removal. A knife edge will hang, upon encountering the scratch, erosion area. My determination is erosion, and scratching, caused by high mineral content, developed from the concentrated water solution, within the heating tank.

Now for some numbers.
TDS readings:
Before entering the house 275 ppm = 16 grains hard, the math: ppm/17.1
SOFTENED WATER FOLLOWS
Faucet #1 kitchen 261 ppm 15 gr first filter 20 sediment ,second filter 5 carbon, UV light
Faucet #2 kitchen 261 ppm 15 gr first filter 20 micron, and second 5 carbon, UV light, I know, this needs to be rethought.
solar water heater 422 ppm 24.5 gr
Bottled water, we purchase from a local company, and it is RO, and several other filtering processes completed 23 ppm 1.3 gr

NOTE: The solar water and domestic water are separate, there is a copper coil within the heater reservoir, that contains and heats the domestic water.
I am not a fan of the color matching tests, but thats all I have found to date. But heres what they show, 2 different types.
Total Hard = very low
PH = Very High
Total alkalinity = Very High
second one:
zero cloro
alk = 180
ph = 7.2
TH = 100
cya = 40
The above is at the kitchen faucet #1
Ok, my guessing begins as to the tube erosion, scratching.
The water entering the heat chamber, is regulated via a float valve, and there is no pressure within the heat chamber, and it operates via the principle of cold water is heavier than hot, and circulation is accomplished, because there is very little water movement surrounding the area of the silicone seal, more or less stagnate, some water will be trapped under and between the seal and glass, because there is little water exchange within the tank res, just evaporation or leakage, and it operates at an elevated temperature, the minerals in the water are concentrated, as observed with the elevated TDS readings.
The glass tubes are supposed to be borosilicate glass, for transmission of light and corrosion resistance. I have no method to determine, this type of glass is laboratory grade, similar to pyrex glassware, this from internet readings. There seem to be suggestions of those readings, that under lab conditions, corrosion does occur, under "elevated" temps, and similar ph values, but don't say what an elevated temp is.

I have the water softener guy coming by, tomorrow, but would like to be informed, as to the valve mechanism. I have no idea as to where the part number is located, whether or not, if this valve is adjustable for grain hardness, or is this an electronic, non-adjustable valve.
Here's the pics.
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• solar tube.jpg
    solar tube.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 278
  • solarwaterheater.jpg
    solarwaterheater.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 279
  • solarwaterheater.jpg
    solarwaterheater.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 255

Bannerman

Reaction score
TDS readings:
Before entering the house 275 ppm = 16 grains hard, the math: ppm/17.1
TDS stands for Total Dissolved Solids. Hardness is generally comprised of Calcium and Magnesium which form only some of the dissolved solids in water. As such, TDS is not an indicator of hardness whereas a Hach 5B is a Total Hardness Test kit is most recommended for determining the hardness quantity both before and after a softener.

A water softener does not reduce TDS but utilizes a process called ion exchange which will replace Calcium and Magnesium ions with Sodium ions. Following a softner, the TDS reading is often higher than before.

Total Hard = very low
PH = Very High
Total alkalinity = Very High
These need to be quantitive. Perhaps there is a local testing lab which for a reasonable cost, would be able to analyze your water to provide a detailed report.

mexjerry

Reaction score
Bannerman, thank you for your response.
I have contacted a local water company, that will allow me to "hitchhike" on there testing of water, this will be separate from their mandated report, and will include a comprehensive test, and report, more to follow, I'm sure. Also, in regards to TDS reduction and salt, Na, verses Mg and Ca, I had speculated that, the increase in TDS, was from Na, salt, and not from the malfunctions of the unit, or operator error, thanks for that.
Thanks for the feed back.

mexjerry

Reaction score
Ok, finally got the Hach HA-71A test kit.
Outside, before the water enters the house:
150 drops and no color change on the low range
13 drops high range to get blue
Inside, downstream of water softner:
32 drops to get blue on the low range
2 drops to get blue on the high range

I should have the commercial test results tomorrow.

So, what do I have?
thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I looked up the Hach HA-71A directions. Low range each drop is 1 ppm (mg/l). High range each drop is one grain. EDIT: Your low range test shows 32 ppm hardness, or 2 grains. I don't know why the discrepancy.

Note that when testing hot water, it can take a while for the softer water to displace all of the hot.

Don't use the low range on your raw water, because 150 drops is too much work and does not add much to the picture.

Last edited:

mexjerry

Reaction score
So, if my interpretation is correct.
Downstream of the softener, I have
32 mg/L
2 gr/gal
and before the water enters
13 gr/gal

Are these numbers high? The water was more or less outside temp, about 70 F.
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
32 mg/l (ppm) is high for softened water. However there could have either been some unsoftened water still in the system, or the water is picking up hardness from the system it is passing through. That would be very nice. I am not a pro, and I don't know how quickly such a process could take place.

mexjerry

Reaction score
The water guy came by last week, previous we had set it to back wash every three days, he reset to 7 days, now no more slick showers, I can feel the difference, and we used salt like it was going out of style. So what would be a compromise setting?
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
The water guy came by last week, previous we had set it to back wash every three days, he reset to 7 days, now no more slick showers, I can feel the difference, and we used salt like it was going out of style. So what would be a compromise setting?
Thanks
What is your softener? Is it not able to do demand softening? How big is your tank? 54 inch by 10 inch diameter?

No chlorine or chloromine added to the water, since that would be a form of processing.

Where in the 7-days did you take your 32 mg/l reading?
Anyway, I think 5 days would be good to try next for a timed softener lacking other data.

Bannerman

Reaction score
While your original post mentions the current softener utilizes a Clack valve, you now mention setting the regeneration frequency in days. I anticipated the Clack valve would be meter controlled whereas setting days usually implies a time clock operated model. By their nature, time clock controllers will not be as efficient to operate compared to a metered control.

Perhaps you can post some photos of the softener controller, showing 4 sides with weather covers (if applicable) removed.

Programming a softener is not a random, hit or miss process, but follows an established and consistent method for any capacity of softener.

We may be able to offer some suggestions on making your softener perform more consistently and efficiently, but additional information will be required:
- The total capacity of the softener in grains or the cubic feet of resin contained? If you don't know, measure the outer diameter and height of the softener's resin tank. (Example: 10" X 54" will usually contain 1.5 cuft of resin = 48,000 grains total capacity)
- What is the brine tank refill rate? This may be specified on a label located nearby to the brine line connection.
- State the current controller settings. You will need to access the programming menu to display and record the settings.
- Is there always 2 persons in the home or are there additional people on a frequent basis?

Last edited:

mexjerry

Reaction score
size says Clack 0844
2 persons

IMG_20180423_152625.jpg IMG_20180423_152635.jpg IMG_20180423_152643.jpg IMG_20180423_152704.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180423_152732.jpg
    IMG_20180423_152732.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 299

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
8x44 Clack timeclock... generally considered undersized for a residential application and no meter. The system has an estimated capacity of about 1000 gallons but who knows how the system was built.

If your budget allows you should really consider a properly sized and efficient system design. The Clack valves are excellent but in general the timeclock models are not even legal in most areas of the USA,

Does the softener feed the entire house? Are you able to determine how many gallons you se per day through the softener. The average water use in a house in the USA is about 60-70 gallons pf water per person per day. so with two people you could go for a week or two but... that small of a resin bed tends to not provide very soft water for very long.

mexjerry

Reaction score
The water softener feeds the whole house, including outside spigots, and a pool, I would guess, we are more than the average.
The above readings,
Downstream of the softener, I have
32 mg/L
2 gr/gal
and before the water enters
13 gr/gal

were taken, just before the unit regen'd, it showed 1 day on the meter.
So, at best, maybe a week before the unit needs regen, I have it currently set at five days, we shall see.
thanks

Bannerman

Reaction score
An 8" X 44" tank would at best contain 3/4 cuft of resin.

I had asked about the current settings so as to calculate the current salt dose as the amount of salt used will govern the amount of capacity to be regenerated.

Typical recommended settings will utilize 4.5 lbs of salt to regenerate 15K grains usable capacity or 6 lbs to regenerate 18K grains capacity. Due to the small quantity of resin contained, hardness leakage through the softener maybe experienced especially when little capacity remains when nearing regeneration, which is why Ditttohead had suggested approx 1000 gallons (13K grains) between regeneration cycles.

If for example, you are using 200 gallons/day, then the regeneration frequency would need to be (1000 / 200) = 5 days, or if using 6 lbs salt, you may be able to extend the regen frequency to 6 days.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Hardness leakage will be common and feeding a pool... we see this type of equipment installed in Mexico all the time, price tends to be the main factor so the smallest tank, no meter etc. in order to have the lowest price. Efficiency is thrown out the window as is water quality.

mexjerry

Reaction score
Well, I have checked for any markings, labels or any kind of information, on the tanks, brine tank, valves, and associated equipment, there are NO labels or info of ANY kind as to what valves, salt settings, in short nothing.
The current settings show water softener to regen in 4 days, zeolite in 2 days
I cannot even post a link to the instruction, for this setup, its a damn qcode and takes you to valveguide reference, and its just basic set up, set time, days to regen, nothing else.

Bannerman

Reaction score
The programming manual included in the link above, confirms in STEP 3SS, water is added to the brine tank at a rate of 0.5 gallons per minute.

As 1-gallon water will dissolve 3 lbs of salt, then a 4.5 lb salt dose would require 3 minutes Fill setting whereas, 4 minutes would be needed for the 6 lb salt dose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks