Well pump pressure tank bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
I have a deep well pump that is short cycling every few seconds. The top third of the tank sounds hollow when tapped. The schrader valve is so corroded that is doesn't work, so I can't test the pressure. I am assuming the tank bladder is bad, but wondered if there are any other tests, I can perform before replacing?

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume the short cycling stops when you don't use water.

Check access to the place where the new tank will sit. If the tank is indoors, it need to go thru doorways. Check the space to see if it would fit a bigger tank.

Any more than that will just confirm that you need a new tank, and I think we already know that. But here is confirmation: Turn off the pump. Drain the water from the drain valve. At that point the tank should be empty of water. Determine somhow if the tank is heavy with trapped water, or if it is lighter like a new tank.

If you are really stubborn, or want to check out every angle, replace the valve core. It is normally the same as is used on tires.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the Schrader on the bladder tank is bad, then the tank is bad. You cannot add another Schrader anywhere else that would put air in the correct chamber. A bad tank bladder is just a sign your pump is cycling on and off too much, which will also destroy the pump and other things in the system besides just the tank bladder.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I have a deep well pump that is short cycling every few seconds. The top third of the tank sounds hollow when tapped. The schrader valve is so corroded that is doesn't work, so I can't test the pressure. I am assuming the tank bladder is bad, but wondered if there are any other tests, I can perform before replacing?

The advice you've gotten is correct - change the tank. Short cycling will kill that pump sooner than later.

If your water is also corrosive, get a new manifold, pressure switch, gauge, and standoff.

John

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The advice you've gotten is correct - change the tank. Short cycling will kill that pump sooner than later.

If your water is also corrosive, get a new manifold, pressure switch, gauge, and standoff.

John
With a bad tank, short cycling will certainly take out the pump. But so called "regular cycling" even when the tank was good is what caused the tank bladder to fail in the first place. 30 years ago I would have suggested as large a tank or tanks as you could fit in the room. But now I know even that many tanks won't stop the cycling and make things work as well and last as long as when using a Cycle Stop Valve instead of a big tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks