Watts recirculating pump question

Users who are viewing this thread

donl1150

Reaction score
Our new Florida patio home has the water heater in the garage. It takes about 70 seconds for hot water to reach the kitchen sink. I would like to remedy that by installing a Watts recirculating pump on the water heater with an associated mixing valve under the sink. However, I don’t understand the piping on top of the water heater.

Attached are two pictures. This appears to be a cross connection for some reason but I don’t know what it does. Can I simply remove it when I install the Watts pump on the hot water discharge line?

Attachments

• IMG_2555.JPG
    IMG_2555.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_2554.JPG
    IMG_2554.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 208

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on where you live, a tempering valve may be required...it is where I live.

Also, while often not plumbed separately, things like a dishwasher can benefit from having hotter water than is allowed by code for the remaining fixtures in the house...well, a washing machine can have super hot water to it as well.

A hotter WH can kill some bacteria that normally can grow in a more tepid location.

A hotter WH acts like a larger capacity WH at a slightly less efficient heat loss. The bigger the temperature differential, the more heat leaks out, and this is one reason why newer WH have better/thicker insulation than older ones.

One other thing...it's fairly easy to tighten a female threaded fitting on CPVC pipe more than ideal. This can lead to it eventually splitting. If you need to use a threaded fitting to CPVC (or PVC), going into a male metal fitting tends to be more reliable. THen, there's a restriction on how far from the WH you can plumb plastic pipe, but that applies to gas fired ones, not electric, that I'm aware of.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks