Water softener waste line

Users who are viewing this thread

Carbonxe

Reaction score
I currently have a water softener which dumps into a sump basin but I'm looking to move it to dump directly to my waste line. I'm also re-routing my sump waste line and was going to tie it into that. I have a sketch below but wasn't sure if it was sufficient enough for the water softener. Green is existing plumbing.

Would I need an AAV on the horizontal section between the P-Trap and Tee?

Any advice would be appreciated.

drain line.png

Old

Reaction score
You can check with your municipality put usually draining sump discharge into the sanitary sewer is against code.

Do you have a laundry standpipe near by? Even if it's on the floor above you can run the softener drain up to the laundry standpipe and just use an air gap adapter where the softener drain enters the standpipe.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can't pump from a sump pit into the sewer. I don't think anywhere would allow that.

Carbonxe

Reaction score
You can check with your municipality put usually draining sump discharge into the sanitary sewer is against code.

Do you have a laundry standpipe near by? Even if it's on the floor above you can run the softener drain up to the laundry standpipe and just use an air gap adapter where the softener drain enters the standpipe.
The sump is already going into the main sewer, that’s how it was when we bought the house.

Laundry is in the basement and goes to a utility sink which is also tied into the main sewer.

Reach4

Reaction score
You can't pump from a sump pit into the sewer. I don't think anywhere would allow that.
There are places that allow or even promote that. Even rain gutter output some places, if you can believe that. They have what is called a combined sewer system.

Chicago, Milwaukee, Boston and more have that.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Every gallon of water needs to be treated when it comes back out through the sewer. If your a municipality your cost gets reduced by many millions of dollars when they go back and seperate the storm from sanitary. Not to mention the EPA fines that are avoided.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks